A mishmash of recent car shoots!

Name
GF
Edit My Images
No
I finished my A2 exams a few weeks ago and as I'd not been allowed to do a shoot during exams I have had quite a few shoots in the last few weeks which had been building up. Below is a selection of the shots. I have got another set, but I'm not allowed to post it as it is magazine bound!

4755073248_a82c674028_z.jpg

4749768737_42240cf888_z.jpg

4759937503_9b11e4940e_z.jpg

4760356105_0cb949908b_z.jpg

4761871354_dc018326e6_z.jpg

4763355440_c22e4f873c_z.jpg

more to come in a sec

How the @"!% do you get to shoot that kind of subject.... ever need a hand?

Awesome set to my eyes. Not totally sold on 6, the moving dappled shade moving across the Audi doesn't quite look right to me, although I like the effect on the road/scenery. Maybe worth chopping in a normally lit Audi from that angle?

Cracking set of pics. When were you in Windsor.. Snapped an E-type just there a few years ago as it tried to turn round.. Which mag are you pics heading for, will grab a copy.

That Morgan lookis fantastic in Burgandy.. Nice shots on Dorney Common on the road to Boveney... I know it well....
Is that the power station on Slough trading Estate too?

How the @"!% do you get to shoot that kind of subject.... ever need a hand?

Awesome set to my eyes. Not totally sold on 6, the moving dappled shade moving across the Audi doesn't quite look right to me, although I like the effect on the road/scenery. Maybe worth chopping in a normally lit Audi from that angle?

I've got much better stuff to shoot in the near future.. unfortunately for you, I've got way to many assistants to choose from :LOL: (I get an offer for someone to be an assistant every few weeks)

I don't like 6 either. I did number 1 as a test shot for that, and love how that came out. For 6 though, the location just didn't work! Unfortunately the camera moved to much between shots to be able to shop in the stationary shot I took...

Cracking set of pics. When were you in Windsor.. Snapped an E-type just there a few years ago as it tried to turn round.. Which mag are you pics heading for, will grab a copy.

That Morgan lookis fantastic in Burgandy.. Nice shots on Dorney Common on the road to Boveney... I know it well....
Is that the power station on Slough trading Estate too?

I don't actually live in the area, so don't know the locations as well as you. The owner of the car lives in the area and as there were 3 cars to shoot he wanted to do it local to him. I did the shoot last week and you're right about the slough estate...

The magazine is Sprint. I believe that I'm going to have the cover of the coming issue and a good feature inside it. If anyone knows where to get a copy, please let me know!

George

I will grab a copy if I can is it the next issue? In Google I am getting Sprint as a magazine for TVR...

Seems you are doing similar things to what I am trying to do, though I am aiming more for classics etc... Maybe we should have a chat I grew up in this area and maybe we can help each other out.. Lots of interesting places round here....
I grew up in Eton Wick about a mile or so from the Dorney shots. That road has been in The Sweeney 'Country Boy' and the professionals at a house, that is on the lest at the end of the road in two episodes..... Dorney lake is not far either and there is an un marked carpark.. Well from memory it is unmarked....11th century church in the back ground...
who is the publisher of the mag?

Love the GT3, my mate has one, flying machine!

Those are absolutely spectacular - in particular the two moving shots, and the GT3 in the low light.

Ever fancy doing a tutorial into the low light shots?

I will grab a copy if I can is it the next issue? In Google I am getting Sprint as a magazine for TVR...

Seems you are doing similar things to what I am trying to do, though I am aiming more for classics etc... Maybe we should have a chat I grew up in this area and maybe we can help each other out.. Lots of interesting places round here....
I grew up in Eton Wick about a mile or so from the Dorney shots. That road has been in The Sweeney 'Country Boy' and the professionals at a house, that is on the lest at the end of the road in two episodes..... Dorney lake is not far either and there is an un marked carpark.. Well from memory it is unmarked....11th century church in the back ground...
who is the publisher of the mag?

I don't think that you can buy Sprint - the owner of the car is giving me a few copies of the magazine... I know that byker on here gets the mag, so may be able to shed some light :)

I'm from Reigate, so not huge distances (although seems in in rush hour :bang:). I have a fair few locations around me which I use which I new know work...

Love the GT3, my mate has one, flying machine!

It is a lovely machine - I got to drive it when he first got it and it just oozes quality!

Fantastic set - love every single shot..

Jaw droppers, all of them!

Feel free to keep posting images like these as much as possible! :)

I'll do my best to - There's one shoot in particular which I'm really looking forward to. I can't tell you the type of car, but can tell you it's worth about £2m!

Those are absolutely spectacular - in particular the two moving shots, and the GT3 in the low light.

Ever fancy doing a tutorial into the low light shots?

The GT3 was shot in a studio and it was my first go in a studio.

I have shot black cars on location before and it is a totally different ball game. You have to think in a totally different way.
On location with a black car, you try to show that it is a black car by reducing reflections, but you also want to show the shape of the car and the details. It is a hard balance to get right.
In a studio however, you have 100% control. I decided to create a base lighting setup, so lit the background using continuous 1kW lights. To do this, you fire it at the wall in an area which will light the roof of the car and give it shape. For the rear 3/4 I then used a long (about 4m) fluro tube on two light stands to create a highlight along the side of the car. We then used a small fluro tube and walked through the frame to light the details of the car such as the spoiler, wheels, badge etc. Then we put the side lights on on the car and did an exposure for that. I had about 15 exposures to blend for each shot.

Hope that explanation helps a little!

George :)

I'll do my best to - There's one shoot in particular which I'm really looking forward to. I can't tell you the type of car, but can tell you it's worth about £2m!
I'm a big fan of the Zonda shots you have on flickr too :clap:

*goes and ponders what the £2m car could be...(and looks forward to seeing the results!)*

I don't think that you can buy Sprint - the owner of the car is giving me a few copies of the magazine... I know that byker on here gets the mag, so may be able to shed some light :)

I'm from Reigate, so not huge distances (although seems in in rush hour :bang:). I have a fair few locations around me which I use which I new know work...

It is a lovely machine - I got to drive it when he first got it and it just oozes quality!

George :)

Pity you can't buy the magazine... Sounds like it is part of the owners club or dealership...
reigate is not that far at all really. In rush hour round it can be a nightmare, espcially with the A404 closures and if there is a crash on the M4 and M40 at the same time... Forget going anywhere at all..

Your 17!! :eek: and you've had the chance to drive a Zonda, Enzo and XJ220 :eek::eek: Well very well done to you :clap:, I'd be tempted with selling body parts to get a drive in the Zonda, nevermind being asked!

Great read, thanks (y)

I liked the bit about 'cycling around for weeks trying to find a location'. It makes me feel better as I've been doing a fair bit of that myself recently :LOL: Out of interest, is that (or now driving round) your main source of finding good locations?

Last edited:
Of all of them I think number 6 is the best. Loads of energy and perfect for the subjects - you are a good 90% of the way to having an all-time great pic there.

Also like number 16 but I think the other studio stuff makes looking at the pics feel like slightly hard work. Personal taste thing I guess.

I really don't like the jaunty-angle-in-middle-of-lane look (12) but that is a personal thing too.

Keep up the sharing - all good stuff!

you have some serious talent! Number one is my favourite, but they are all very good imo!

Superb work.
You`re just seventeen, wish I was that age again ;), you enthusiasm and imagination coupled with your camera skills are quite special.

You are obviously getting some great opportunities, but more to the point you are making the best of them,( not many people are prepared to make the effort and that`s the truth) wish you all the best and hope you continue to share your work, loved the editorial feature you provided the link for by the way.

Cheers
Tony

you my son are a god...i have dreams of taking pictures of cars like this and the quality of the photos aswell is just well amazing, for me number 17 gets it, the simplicity of it yet the work behind it to get it just right (as you have) is excellent

well done, if you find a copy of the magazine please let me know where as id love to see, it. Im currently flicking thorugh your site now ...and drooling more lol

Some very good pictures here but too many pictures here to offer decent crit against but just a few bits and pieces.

Uninteresting backgrounds (5), halos around the car (3), Unlevel horizon (7), Creases in the floor (17), not dead central on car (18), uninteresting skies (9,10,12).

What are the 1990's zebra stripes on the side of the R8??

Last edited:
Makes you sick dont it :D

The rig shots don't do nowt for me but I appreciate they're the staple for magazines and they are very well done.

The GT3 shots are excellent for a first time in a studio; the joys of big swimming pool softboxes. Shame you didn't do a front end shot of that car - nonetheless, the black works brilliantly.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words, I put a lot of time and effort into my photography to improve and it is nice to hear positive feedback!

Some very good pictures here but too many pictures here to offer decent crit against but just a few bits and pieces.

Uninteresting backgrounds (5), halos around the car (3), Unlevel horizon (7), Creases in the floor (17), not dead central on car (18), uninteresting skies (9,10,12).

What are the 1990's zebra stripes on the side of the R8??

I wasn't asking for crit Marcos, but I'll reply to it anyway :p
(I now ask for crit on another forum which is full of car photographers, but lets not go there)

Now I'm sure that you'll appreciate that I'm doing commissioned shoots and not portfolio work, so although I put my all into the shoots, locations are limited.

3 - I didn't actually finish lighting this picture. I was half way through doing it when we got kicked off the location which was a shame. I was planning on lighting the whole background.

5 - may be uninteresting, but at the same time it's not distracting.

7 - whoops!

17 - I noticed that, but I would kill all forum links if I changed the picture (flickr).

18 - I can 100% assure you that it is dead central. The wing mirrors are slightly different on each side and the roll cage is not in the middle of the car though which can throw it off a bit!

Nothing you can do about uninteresting skies apart from comp another in and I don't like being overly fake (my shots are too fake as it is!)

The zebra stripes could have been taken out with a twist of the polariser, but I like them in shot :)

Me being stubborn over ;)

George

the joys of big swimming pool softboxes.

Didn't actually use any softboxes for these apart from with the model. I lit the background and lightpainted the details.

Shame you didn't do a front end shot of that car - nonetheless, the black works brilliantly.

Not enough time unfortunately. I was planning on doing a front 3/4 and a rear 3/4, but plans changed as the the dead on rear shot worked better with the model (I'm not allowed to show the shot :eek:)

George

So now you're being commissioned to do work you're above being given feedback by the mere paid amateurs of TP?? I'll remember that in future and won't tread on the hallowed ground you walk.

But SIR George I still disagree with you being dead central on 18, look where the rear spoiler crosses the line where rear wings meet the engine cover. They are not central unless the rear spoiler is in line with the roll cage, the wing mirrors or anythig else that isn't central . . . . .

Last edited:
So now you're being commissioned to do work you're above being given feedback by the mere paid amateurs of TP?? I'll remember that in future and won't tread on the hallowed ground you walk.

But SIR George I still disagree with you being dead central on 18, look where the rear spoiler crosses the line where rear wings meet the engine cover. They are not central unless the rear spoiler is in line with the roll cage, the wing mirrors or anythig else that isn't central . . . . .

Sorry chap, didn't mean it like that! :wacky:

These shots aren't the final shots which I give the customer as I always check on the other forum first who will literally point every single fault with the photos possible, which means I almost get fed up with crit!

I didn't mean to take that s*** a tone with you

I assure you that the shot is straight though - we spent about 10 minutes checking on the computer and adjusting the tripod!

I assure you that the shot is straight though - we spent about 10 minutes checking on the computer and adjusting the tripod!

Looks good enough but not 100% - the side fins of the rear wings seem to drop down unequally aligned to the panel gaps either side of the engine cover.

No major crit from me but I'll out it here - lost my DS login details :thinking:

The studio shots have been well processed. Don't like any of the Morgan images mainly down to location. Gallardo on that S-bend road is most exciting to me, just wish the car was off centre.

Looks good enough but not 100% - the side fins of the rear wings seem to drop down unequally aligned to the panel gaps either side of the engine cover.

No major crit from me but I'll out it here - lost my DS login details :thinking:

The studio shots have been well processed. Don't like any of the Morgan images mainly down to location. Gallardo on that S-bend road is most exciting to me, just wish the car was off centre.

I'm not trying to be stubborn Andy, but I can't see what you're talking about with the rear wing and panel gaps :thinking: Oh well :p

I didn't choose the Morgan locations, and can understand what you mean - we got kicked off three locations he chose!

See what you mean about the Gallardo and you're right - I don't do much panning so was just trying to get it sharp, but definitely something to bare in mind for next time!

oh my god, they're unbeleivably good!

Back