A Moon shot, and a late Snow shot

Name
Sean
Edit My Images
Yes
3272421719_34f57d208f_o.jpg

Taken with my 55-250IS @ 250mm

Not as sharp as I'd like, but it is heavily cropped! Pretty much a 100% crop.

3272421963_6c8917af5e_o.jpg

Bit different :)
Tell me what you think!

I kinda like the lampost shot, but think it would work better with a more interesting focus point, great technique though, is that real snow that is falling or PP'd in?.. love it either way but a different main subject would be better for me.

If I'm honest it was a complete snap. I just wanted to take a picture of the snow!
I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't have the motivation to go out and take photos in the snow :(

Yeah, it's real snow falling :)

There's hints of colour and detail showing through in the moon shot, it may be that atmospheric conditions were bad, but from my own moon shots with the 450d and 55-250, I'd have expected more from the lens and camera combo, even cropped that hard.

I too kinda like the lamppost shot, the falling snow is what lifts it I think. It almost has a Narnia-esque feel to it, had it been shot with those trees as the background.

There's hints of colour and detail showing through in the moon shot, it may be that atmospheric conditions were bad, but from my own moon shots with the 450d and 55-250, I'd have expected more from the lens and camera combo, even cropped that hard.

I too kinda like the lamppost shot, the falling snow is what lifts it I think. It almost has a Narnia-esque feel to it, had it been shot with those trees as the background.

It was particularly cloudy (moon was stupidly bright and clouds were lit up wonderfully - which is what made me go and grab the camera).

I might try again another night. What sort of settings would you recommend? Never done moon shots before.

The snow shot is all about the snow really. No careful consideration of composition at all :p

Bear in mind also that the 450d has 2 million more megapixels than the 40d.
Don't know how much of a difference it makes.

It was particularly cloudy (moon was stupidly bright and clouds were lit up wonderfully - which is what made me go and grab the camera).

I might try again another night. What sort of settings would you recommend? Never done moon shots before.

Oh, tricky... Moon or clouds :D.

The clouds may well have affected that shot, even high mist will cause oddness and against the bright moon, you won't be able to see the mist very well. I normally use ISO100, f5.6 and between 1/160 and 1/250 depending on how full the moon is. I normally try to underexpose, according to the spot meter, although I'm not sure how good the metering is even in spot mode for the moon in the night sky. As for the 2Mp... :shrug: I've no clue what if any difference that would make.

Well at first I tried the clouds and it just meant that I got a massively overexposed moon and horribly underexposed clouds. Stupid difference in brightness.

I think that's around about the settings I used.
*just checked*

Nope!
f/11, 1/50th, ISO100
That would explain it then :p

The moon one is my fave - its a great shot - better than what i could do : )

Back