A-mount Lens Advice for Dynax 7

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just received a Minolta Dynax 7 (my dream SLR...) and I'm looking to pick up some worthwhile lenses on a budget.

My current ideas for options are:

A) Minolta 24-105 D + Minolta 50mm 1.7 (£200 or so)

B) Sigma 21-35 + Minolta 50mm 1.7 (150 or so)

I like to shoot wide, hence the Sigma option, but then I lose zoom range, but I have heard the 24-105 D isn't very good quality and I don't often shoot beyond 50mm anyway...

I'm pretty sure a 50mm 1.7 is a safe buy.

Any opinions on the 24-105 and 21-35 are greatly appreciated, or other suggestions for relatively cheap lens setups.

Thanks!

The 50mm I'd say yes - expect about £80-£90

If you can get the Minolta 24-85 I'd suggest you go for it and remember, when looking at other options, you are using full frame here, while the Sony lenses will fit they may still vignette wide open if they were only be made for APS sensors.

I've been using this website - Dyxum.com - to check compatibility and get a basic idea of the quality of the lens (and I have to say, it's a really great website).

I know 24 is wide, but I'd really like to push as far as I can go before major distortion sets in. I love getting close with ultra-wide angle. I'm on the lookout for a good value 24-85 right now but that Sigma is so tempting...

Cheers for the tips!

There's a Tamron 24-135mm which is quite well regarded. No longer made, but they turn up on fleabay.

Yarp! I am always shocked how much you can get in frame with my 28mm on my OM2!

Ah, well - (whispers) it'll also be a decent walkabout for the crop dijikal - and to be honest, it's also about the same equivalent as the 10-20mm sigma on digikal, which I really enjoy using.

I have a Dynax 7d and LOVE it! Something about the proper dials, feels like a real camera!

(I've got a brand new boxed Sigma 28-105 that I was going to ebay if you are interested? I have a duplicate. I know it's not the D type but it's a decent lens. Looking for around £90 including P&P.)

Anyway, enjoy it!

Just realised I can't trade on the forum yet, but I could stick it on ebay...
Mods, please delete/edit my posts if I'm breaking any rules here. tx

Not exactly the lens I'm after but thanks for the offer. Have a friend with a 7D and he's very happy with it!

Duh, just read that it's a dynax 7, not 7d, I get carried away sometimes! You'd have thought that 'film and conventional' would have been a bit of a hint. :wacky:

Last edited:
Not exactly the lens I'm after but thanks for the offer. Have a friend with a 7D and he's very happy with it!

I love my Dynax 7, it's a beautiful camera.

Just to make you jealous I use the Sony CZ 24-70 on mine most of the time, what a combination! :)

I love all mine too - unfortunately :(

I love all mine too - unfortunately :(

So why on earth are you getting rid of 'em...:shrug:

(I have to limit myself as to what kit I buy, because I'm a terrible hoarder, and have real problems getting rid of anything. So - it's easier for me not to buy ;))

Practicalities - I cannot complain when people do not use their cameras and then leave mine for months at a time between uses... so I have to thin things out. Again. Keeping to the Konishiroku collection and the CL for fun, the Contax for medium serious and one other (the Autoreflex I expect)... and a couple for the other side too.

Remember the Russian beastie? Still got that and compared to what I am considering doing... that was a walk in the park :eek:

Last edited:
Practicalities - I cannot complain when people do not use their cameras and then leave mine for months at a time between uses... so I have to thin things out. Again. Keeping to the Konishiroku collection and the CL for fun, the Contax for medium serious and one other (the Autoreflex I expect)... and a couple for the other side too.

Remember the Russian beastie? Still got that and compared to what I am considering doing... that was a walk in the park :eek:

So this would be why you're looking for a non-functional TRL? I'll say this Arthur, you're certainly entertaining :)

Yeah - saying nowt yet though! However, I *did* fall in love with a nice Yashica 44 while I was looking, they are just so cool :bonk:

Anyone got a spare Brownie Reflex they don't want?

Last edited:
Another dynax 7 owner here. Check out ffordes photographic as they sell decent second hand stuff. Got my dynax from them and my sony dslr. They've usually got a reasonable range of lenses.

Back