A Natural Eye?

It was a serious discussion ???? ..........I thought it was a spoof take on OOF :confused::D

@skysh4rk :sorry:sorry!:sorry: :D
Shall we have a philosophical discussion about doing weddings for nothing next time?

From what I can see we've had 237 posts in this thread, it's been interesting, frustrating, educational, frustrating, thought provoking and just a bit frustrating but I don't think anybody has been unreasonable, acted like a complete and utter twonk or thrown their toys out of the pram.
It is a bit out of the remit of f&c to talk on such a serious level and I assume we won't be making a habit of it but it's been a diversion and it's given Roberts enough time off to polish the silver and top up the decanters.

All's good in fusty and crusty (y)

Many of us knew the thread could go on and on with no conclusion...but it was a thread that allowed anyone from newbie to a pro to join in with a view so no one needed to be left out as lurkers, so it was a successful thread. ...h'mm when it finally ends.

for what my opinions worth (about 3% of bugger all) I think that this has probably been one of the more interesting threads we've had open in F&C - yes, there was always going to be a "polarised" debate with a few people either just not getting the thrust of the thread, or being completely entrenched in their viewpoint, but... well - frankly it's made a change to talk more about the artistic or creative process of taking a photograph and what lies behind than, rather than just "how do I load film in xxx camera" or "what scanner do I need for yyy" or "look at my shiny old zzz from the car boot sale"...

Because, at the end of the day, much as l like the hardware side of photography, what I'm really in it for is to make images - and to improve my ability to do so. And THINKING about the creative process, and how I can push my boundaries is how I'm going to improve that (wether or not I was "born with the gift" or not)

Because, at the end of the day, much as l like the hardware side of photography, what I'm really in it for is to make images - and to improve my ability to do so. And THINKING about the creative process, and how I can push my boundaries is how I'm going to improve that (wether or not I was "born with the gift" or not)

Yeah, I'm with you here. I'm all for a greater emphasis on skill/creative development and exploring ways that we ourselves can improve our own photography, rather than relying solely on cameras, scanners, software, genetics, etc. to do it for us.

Last edited:
As a 20 year veteran of unmoderated Usenet groups, I can say that this thread was a model of rancour-free discussion (also true, the Jonathan Woss version of that sentence). It was interesting, and I learned a bit - RJ's arguments helped crystallise the idea of genetic talent in my head.

Back