A new experience and what an experience...

Quite exciting, I’d have thought. First beaver photos I’ve seen on here. Well done.

Quite a few re-introduction schemes in the country. Is this the one at Nankilly Water ?.

I've seen beavers in Scotland and photographed them (badly - they're always quite distant and don't come out till dusk). I'll never forget watching one having a stand-off with a swan. In the end the swan pretended to get bored and moved away but really I think it was beaver 1 swan 0. I don't know why but what surprised me was how big beavers are. They're not small animals. We have them in Devon on the Otter and they (apparently) weren't a reintroduction.

I've seen beavers in Scotland and photographed them (badly - they're always quite distant and don't come out till dusk). I'll never forget watching one having a stand-off with a swan. In the end the swan pretended to get bored and moved away but really I think it was beaver 1 swan 0. I don't know why but what surprised me was how big beavers are. They're not small animals. We have them in Devon on the Otter and they (apparently) weren't a reintroduction.

Yes they are surprisingly large. We were lucky when one came out of the water, some apples had been left out to encourage.
This was in Devon but not on the Otter

This was in Devon and very exciting though for quite a while it looked like they might not appear

Ah..Devon. I’m sure it was a site in Devon that was featured in the last Springwatch series. Infact, I see Jan has mentioned the river Otter in Devon..Or..am I getting mixed up with otters, ,maybe ?. Someone will know. :)

Last edited:
Ah..Devon. I’m sure it was a site in Devon that was featured in the last Springwatch series. Infact, I see Jan has mentioned the river Otter in Devon..Or..am I getting mixed up with otters, ,maybe ?. Someone will know. :)

The River Otter beavers have been there a number of years and it seems no-one knows how they got there. There were moves to remove them but the (sensible) decision was taken to health check them, leave them alone and study them. There is another study taking place on a secured private site also in Devon. I believe the beavers there are from the Otter population. The Cornwall reintroduction is similar to this one. I don't know where the beavers came from. It was the Cornwall site Gillian visited for Springwatch. I usually find her really annoying but I was glued to every piece she did on them.

The River Otter beavers have been there a number of years and it seems no-one knows how they got there. There were moves to remove them but the (sensible) decision was taken to health check them, leave them alone and study them. There is another study taking place on a secured private site also in Devon. I believe the beavers there are from the Otter population. The Cornwall reintroduction is similar to this one. I don't know where the beavers came from. It was the Cornwall site Gillian visited for Springwatch. I usually find her really annoying but I was glued to every piece she did on them.

Thanks,Jan. Good to hear that they decided to leave the beavers where they are On the River Otter.

I find Gillian a bit annoying too and sometimes Michaela. lol . Iola is excellent and I was very impressed with Chris Packham’s step-daughter Meghan McCubbin who has had a lot of viewers wanting her to be a permanent member of the team.

Back