A phone that is actually rather good as a pocket point and shoot..

Andrew Moore

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Huawei Mate 20 Pro

This has some seriously interesting tech in the camera department consisting of 3 cameras ranging from 8mp to 40mp with a super wide to a 3x zoom. It's Leica optics and has had some input on colour, sharpening, custom settings etc and from testing out and having a play is a great improvement over my previous Apple devices.

So far very impressive!

Link: https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/phones/mate20-pro/

Phone images (images from phone to follow after the weekend)

IMG_20181029_093703.jpg

IMG_20181029_093722.jpg

Screenshot_20181030_000510.jpg

Last edited:
I’m surprised that the Huawei P20 Pro didn’t feature on your radar when it was launched a while ago. It was the first with 3 camera modules. The Mate 20 Pro swapped the mono unit for a wide angle one.

sounds fantastic but how expensive is it?

The p20 pro was on the radar when the new iPhones came out without the fingerprint under the screen like I had been hoping for. so on doing some research I found the mate 20 pro was only a few weeks behind apples phones so I waited. Very glad I did though. It's fantastic!!

The p20 pro was on the radar when the new iPhones came out without the fingerprint under the screen like I had been hoping for. so on doing some research I found the mate 20 pro was only a few weeks behind apples phones so I waited. Very glad I did though. It's fantastic!!

Not sure why a fingerprint sensor under the screen is such a big deal when Face ID works so well. I see The OnePlus 6T also has an inscreen fingerprint sensor.
The Mate 20 Pro is a nice looking phone though, especially in the twilight option.

Not sure why a fingerprint sensor under the screen is such a big deal when Face ID works so well. I see The OnePlus 6T also has an inscreen fingerprint sensor.
The Mate 20 Pro is a nice looking phone though, especially in the twilight option.

I have my phone flat on a desk.
I push the iPhone button it opens and I see the messages without the need to move or fund the Christmas dinner of some chiropractic practitioner somewhere.
The latest iPhones are in my opinion worse than any before them for ease of use because of th arrogance of apple thinking that just because some exec there uses a phone a certain way that all should.
As such, here I am on android with a device that for that one item alone is better than apples offerings.
The iPhone X was the first iPhone I never purchased, the XS, XS Max and XR have followed that tradition.
The problem is, apple will continue to say it's a great step forward because people will still buy it because it's hip and trendy to do so.
That's the reality here whether people see it or not and it's s shame as it stunts progression and innovation which is why I am glad that Huawei and OnePlus continue to push what is possible when the so called giants do not.

The new P30 models announced yesterday look very interesting. The P30 Pro especially from a photography perspective.

It's more photo focused then the Mate 20 Pro where the Mate holds more of the flagship firsts and the better screen etc. Having said that, the mate 20 is only one or two phones behind the P30 pro from a DXO perspective so I guess it boils down to whether you need 5x optical zoom or if you want a better screen for consuming media on the go.

I think the mate 20 pro is the better handset still but if your more photo focused and don't use your phone for constant Netflix or YouTube viewing then the new P30 is going to be the better purchase.

Huawei have confirmed P for photography, M for media (and flagship features). The new P30 pro brings the P range up to date feature and speed wise with lasts years flagships. So long as they don't go OTT on pricing (or no more than £799) then they have a winner on their hands I think.

Interesting. Thanks for posting these opinions. I'm considering a new phone but non of the new flagship models are small enough to fit in my front pocket. (And still let sit and drive). Deal breaker for my so 'stuck' with my S7.

I've used Huawei phones for the last few years...P8, P9, currently a P20 pro. Having come from iPhone's I wouldn't go back. The camera is great (for a 'phone) on the P20, I'd never want to be without a dual SIM 'phone as I travel a lot. At the equivalent of ~£400 new about 10 months ago in Malaysia, nothing touches it for value either.

I'm currently thinking the P30 is too much of a gentle evolution to be worth the expense of upgrading but I do like new shiney things!

P30 comera looks good, and gentle evolution is probably what you want at this stage - similar but faster and with better battery life.

As for the thread title, I've been doing a personal photo project shooting only with my Xiaomi note 5 - never thought I'd see the day when I used a phone-cam seriously.

Hi guys,
I am looking to upgrade to either a P30 pro, or oneplus 7 pro, Samson S10, does any one have any images taken with any of these phones, they all look pretty good but I just wanted to see some regular images to make sure they dont have that over sharpen look about them.
Cheers..

Hi guys,
I am looking to upgrade to either a P30 pro, or oneplus 7 pro, Samson S10, does any one have any images taken with any of these phones, they all look pretty good but I just wanted to see some regular images to make sure they dont have that over sharpen look about them.
Cheers..

I'm sure Flickr can provide some images.

Having used the p30 pro briefly, all I can say is that the screen isn't as good as the mate 20 pro, it's no faster, is missing too many of the mates features in the security department and the camera for the most part is identical. The extra you get from the zoom and the 0.1 better aperture really isn't worth the other trade offs.

The mate is the media flagship, the P is the photography flagship but when the mate is so close in that department I couldn't recommended looking at the P30.

Having played with a colleagues S10+ all I can say is you would be hard pushed to see the difference between it and the mate 20 pro.

Value wise and current pricing...

Mate 20 pro -£700ish now
P30 pro £800+
S10+ £1000+
One plus 7 pro £700?

If I was choosing again now I would go with the mate 20 for the best all rounder experience but the One plus for the faster screen and full screen design without the cut out. The camera is reported to be a bit naff though...

If photography is your thing then the two Huawei phones are the best option here.

Back