A question about memory for all you PC techies

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a laptop with 4Gb of RAM in 2 lots of 2GB . How do I know if all the memory is being used? The reason I ask is that when I look at the Memory Optimizer dialog box, the scale only goes up to 2048Mb and hovering the mouse cursor over the Memory Optimizer icon in the system tray says 50% of 2048MB free

Thanks in advance for your help

if you right click my computer and go to properties what does it say the memory amount is?

then go to task manager (press CTRL+ALT+DEL once) and select it, on the performance tab what is the total physical memory?

did the machine come with 4gb or have you upgraded it? presumable your motherboard can accept more than 2gb? are you running 32 or 64 bit windows? although even with 32 bit youd see 3 and a bit gb.

p.s - this will prob get moved to the computers section :)

then you max out at like 3 1/2 gb because of 32bit addressing issues

shove windows 7 x64 on it and you can use all 4gb ;)

64 bit operating systems have been out long enough for hardware manufacturers to ship drivers for them, unless of course the hardware is really out of date. I've had zero issues.

All I need now is £180 for a Windows 7 upgrade :bonk:

Huh? .....link and retail link

The difference is retail has a nicer box and both 32/64bit discs. Also the OEM version is supposed to be bought with a core piece of hardware (cpu,ram,motherboard,hdd etc) at least it was with Vista oem/retail.

It is a 64 bit cpu though isnt it? Otherwise you may experience some 'problems with incomptible software, drivers, etc etc'.

It is a 64 bit cpu though isnt it? Otherwise you may experience some 'problems with incomptible software, drivers, etc etc'.

?

64 bit OS will only install on 64 bit hardware

32 bit OS will work fine on either as drivers tend to be backwards compatible

If you are only using 1gb out of 3.5 gb available to the operating system then you dont need to worry.

Ive got 64 bit Windows 7 (no compatibility problems, have a printer, cameras, iphone, wireless adapter etc etc and they all installed fine) and 2gb of RAM. I can run photoshop, dreamweaver and multiple tables in firefox AND still have 800mb of RAM free.

Ignore people who say you need more than 2gb of RAM unless you edit videos or run an app/game that needs more

Back