A question for computer buffs

Name
Cheryl
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently installed a new cd/dvd rw on my pc as the old one died. It worked well for a while, but now something has happened and it doesn't even appear to be installed on my pc as it won't work and isn't on the system list of hardware :bang: The cd I got with it doesn't have a driver, only software such as Nero etc. I have tried (with no success) to download a driver for it, but don't want to end up with lots of dodgy downloaded stuff that I don't need.

Is there anything I can do before I resort to taking the whole thing out and trying again? (please bear in mind I know jack when it comes to computers :shake: )

Thanks

Cheryl

Ps - It's a BENQ DW1650

Does it show up in "my computer", or is it selectable in Nero?

Does the light on the front of the DVD writer come on when you start the system up? Can you open the drive tray?

If its all dead, unplug your PC and check the connections at both ends of the IDE cable, and the molex power connector (the 4-pin one in the back of the drive). Try a different molex connector if you have some free.

If your unit is on an IDE channel by itself (on the end of a cable), the jumper switch on the back needs to be set to MASTER (MA) or CABLE SELECT (CS). If its half way down an IDE cable then set it to SLAVE (SL) or CABLE SELECT (CS).

You don't need to install any drivers for CD-ROM/DVD drivers/writers.

You don't need a driver for a CD/DVD drive as they are typicaly IDE devices. Have you got it installed as a master on it's own channel or is it a slave to another device ?

//rollocks , a minute to slow :LOL:

I had this on my other machine when I installed a program.
somehow the registry got corrupted and neither my cd rom or the dvd rw would show in "my computer"

If it shows when booting or in your bios than it's a windows problem, if the leads are connected properly and it doesn't show up then send it back under warranty.

GfK said:
Does it show up in "my computer", or is it selectable in Nero?

Does the light on the front of the DVD writer come on when you start the system up? Can you open the drive tray?

If its all dead, unplug your PC and check the connections at both ends of the IDE cable, and the molex power connector (the 4-pin one in the back of the drive). Try a different molex connector if you have some free.

If your unit is on an IDE channel by itself (on the end of a cable), the jumper switch on the back needs to be set to MASTER (MA) or CABLE SELECT (CS). If its half way down an IDE cable then set it to SLAVE (SL) or CABLE SELECT (CS).

You don't need to install any drivers for CD-ROM/DVD drivers/writers.

It doesn't show on 'my computer'
It isn't selecatable in Nero
I can open the drive tray and the light is on
It worked perfectly until about a month ago, then I don't know what happened :shrug:

digitalfailure said:
I had this on my other machine when I installed a program.
somehow the registry got corrupted and neither my cd rom or the dvd rw would show in "my computer"

So how did you solve it DF?

try this link

Are you getting any error messages at all?

My issue came about after installing pinnacle studio 10, have you added any software?
from memory adaptec easy cd creator was the principle culprit for this type of fault.

No, no error messages... I think I'll have to take the pc apart tomorrow and try reconnecting it :(

According to my pc, the dvd rw just doesn't exist!

Steep said:
If it shows when booting or in your bios than it's a windows problem.

Give the man a cigar..(y)

I have seen this many times Cheryl so don't be so keen on returning the drive as its a common problem that XP carries.:(

There is a registry fix somewhere, I will have a look round mini and get back to you..:)

[EDIT]
Found this link Cheryl, Have a read.:)

buster, thats the same fix i used and posted,

Cheryl, follow that and adjust the upper and lower filters as shown and you'll be OK with it

I tried the link you posted DF, and after downloading the 'fix' and running it, it made no difference at all. Will sweet talk the other half and get him to try to re-install it tomorrow.

minimeeze said:
I tried the link you posted DF, and after downloading the 'fix' and running it, it made no difference at all. Will sweet talk the other half and get him to try to re-install it tomorrow.

If he won't do it give me a shout, I will install it for you..:naughty:

:exit:

minimeeze said:
Inserts <rolls eyes smiley> You get worse!

thankyou%20smiley.gif

:ty: for all your helpful suggestions.... I think a cable had worked loose, and after a quick fiddle about (oo-er), it's back up & running :)

minimeeze said:
:ty: for all your helpful suggestions.... I think a cable had worked loose, and after a quick fiddle about (oo-er), it's back up & running :)

Nice one Cheryl..:)

Mine is showing in My Computer and the light is on and it ejects, but when I put a disc in it doesnt read it. also while it is trying to read it, it seems to freeze the desktop.

Ive replaced the ribbon cable.... one minute it worked... then it didnt.

Any ideas?

That's how I came to replace my original one - the exact same thing happened and I couldn't get it to work. I bought a new one and replaced it myself - really easy... even for someone like me :)

Janice said:
Ive replaced the ribbon cable.... one minute it worked... then it didnt.

Any ideas?

Sounds very much like the drive is failing Janice.:(

The good news is that new ones can be had for less than £20 at most retailers..:)

Ah good. Its not the DVD-RW drive.....just the dvd drive. I will get a new one I think.

Right Click My Computer
Choose Manage
Go to Device Manager
Open + for CDROMS
Right Click DVD and uninstall it
Reboot Computer
Does drive work?

No. Ive done that many a time....but no. The green light comes on while it tries to read, and you can hear a feint clicking sound, and eventually the message Please put a disk in drive G comes up. I think its time for a new one. Thanks for your help.

Back