A rant about idiots

GfK

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Hello.

Some of you may be aware that, back in February I did a City & Guilds National Certificate for Door Supervisors. I did it with a training company in Doncaster.

I completed and passed the course March 1st.

Simple? It should be.

To work as a bouncer, you need to be properly licenced. The licence application fee is £190. The job centre agreed to pay for this for me, and this is where the problems started.

The job centre sent the money to the training company I did the course with. Meanwhile, the guy who provided training for them (we'll call him Andy) left to set up his own company. For reasons which will bewilder me to my dying day, the job centre would not give me a cheque made out to the Security Industry Authority.

So ever since march, there's been £190 floating about in an abyss somewhere between the dole office and myself. They sent it to the training company, the training company sent it to Andy, Andy gave it to me.

This has taken three months. I don't know why. I finally went to collect the cheque from Andy today. He helped me to complete the SIA application form (which I'd already done correctly anyway but he checked it over), and gave me the cheque which he had received from the training firm he used to work for, and was made out to the SIA. Lovely.

Lovely, that is, until about half an hour ago when I was gathering everything up to get ready to post it off tomorrow.

Thought I'd make sure the cheque was all correct. They've dated it 19/6/05. I stopped to think.... its 2006 now, right? AAAAAARGHHHH!!!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang:

So tomorrow, I have to ring Andy, explain that I have a cheque in my possession that's nearly a year out of date (you have to present cheques within 3 months of their date), then go through the whole effing pantomime again.

I'm not pleased. I'm utterly ****ed off with the whole damn business. I've had to take a job that pays £6 an hour when I could be watching drunk people go into pubs and getting paid twice that.

All because I didn't have £190 of my own and am relying on other people to correctly perform one simple task.

</rant>

I should add... I spoke to the dole office about this last Friday. They said if I didn't get my licence sorted they were going to ask ME to pay back the £190 - which I haven't actually had!

I threw several harsh words in their direction. I'll be taking a photocopy of this useless cheque before I return it from whence it came. Just in case I need to wave it in somebody's face to emphasise the extent of their incompetence at a later time.

Well it aint called the silly service for nothing:cautious:

I can understand your frustration, and to be honest its total disgrace and also a typical example of how things are done in this country these days, that your attempts to gain employment are effectively being hampered not helped by your dole service. :thumbsdown:

Hope you get it sorted out soon (y)

A classic Jack Dee line :

They used to be called the DHSS, until they dropped the H.
Now they're the DSS.

I want to know how long it is before they drop the D, and we find out that they are, in fact, the SS. ;)

Marcel said:
I want to know how long it is before they drop the D, and we find out that they are, in fact, the SS. ;)

ROFL:LOL:

their new office makeover is purdy tho :)

I was on for 3 years. never really had a problem except with the job hunt diary. I kept it religiously for almost 2.5 years and brought a printed copy every signon day.

This urine stinking old bag decided to give me major hassle because after 2 years of nobody once asking to see it I stopped bringing it with me. Still did it, just didn't print it out. Anyway the first week I didn't bring it, das boot decided she wanted to see it. I apologised, told her I had been doing it and would bring it next time. I even offered to skip home, get it and bring it back. She said next time would be fine.
So a fortnight passes and by chance I get Frauline Himmler again but this time she doesn't ask to see the diary. I went off on a rant about her ineptitude and how she'd treated me like a wayward child for not bringing the diary last time, despite the fact it's never been asked for it before and this week yet again she didn't ask for it.
She huffed and puffed then agreed to look at it. At this point because it wasn't on the official "diary" sheets and instead I'd kept it in a spreadsheet and printed it at home she decided this wasn't allowed. I think the nicely tabulated columns of data that where readable maybe threw her tiny brain into paroxysms of bureaucracy.

(I'd asked when I first signed on if it was ok for me to write them up on my computer. My handwriting makes me blush and is actually one of the worlds strongest cryptographic codes - even I can't decode it.)

I asked Mrs Thatchers Eviler Twin to point out where in the rules it said how the diary was to be presented. She couldn't. I then asked to speak to her supervisor. I then told "the soup" the whole story.

Never saw the daft bat at the sign in desks again.

My brother has just done the same course in Doncaster and is having similar problems with them. I think it is the sole mission of the dole office to treat everyone like total imbeciles.
I had to go on the dole for 3 months after I completed my midwifery training as there were no midwife vacancies around at the time. They couldn't get it into their heads that after spending 3 years at university to become a midwife, why I wouldn't take a job in a factory..hmmm :thinking:

minimeeze said:
My brother has just done the same course in Doncaster and is having similar problems with them.
Really? Whos your brother? Where did he do the course?

My brother did the course a few months back at Doncaster college - he's called Dave Mount.

I had to do a Spot of signing-on a while back while recovering from throwing myself off a mountain strapped to a bike.
I hated every moment of it - down in Brighton you used to get a particularly revolting species of Dole-Bludger, complete with standard-issue Thin Brown Dog TM and cans of Tennents.
I used to go in wearing a suit and tie just to **** them all off.
I too had to take a temp job when the doc signed me back on before starting the new season (taking sports photos is seasonal with MTB racing in the UK) and ended up in a factory in Burgess Hill making Filofaxes. The memory of it haunts me to this day. Horror.

A mate of mine, when he signed off from the RAF, went into the job centre as required (his new job was scheduled to begin in another 5 months' time) and was asked if he coudn't perhaps do something in the meantime.
Yes, he replied, I'd like a job flying Jaguar Fighter Bombers on low-level attack missions against insurgents in mountainous areas. Desert optional.
They let him off...

They had to lay off a few Job Center employees here not so long ago. Wonder what they do when they signed on for the first time...

"What's your ideal job?"

"Erm... yours..."

Back