A rather silly question

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
I have some 55 mm filter for my SLR lens.

My RF lens is 46 mm

Can I buy a 46-55mm step up ring adapter, mount it on my RF lens and then attach the 55mm filter? OR am I missing something

Ujjwal

Thanks. I did figure the vignetting issue...

So another stupid one:

I am thinking of getting the following filters. Please tell me if the thinking is OK.

81B : for portrait

ND 4 : for landscape

yellow and Red for B&W

( I have a CLP and UV ).

Are there any others often used filters?

Ujjwal

PS :I only use films, no digital

yellow and Red for B&W

I always found a red filter to be a bit too much with black and white film, but I still have my yellow hoya knocking about from my film days!! I guess it comes down to horses for courses!!

Oh, step up rings are a great way of saving money. Just buy the filter for your largest lens/largest filter thread size, and buy step up rings for all the rest of your lenses. Step up rings are waaaaay cheaper than filters(y)

Thanks. I did figure the vignetting issue...

So another stupid one:

I am thinking of getting the following filters. Please tell me if the thinking is OK.

81B : for portrait

It's a mild warming filter, if you like that effect. Handy for slides, but you can add the same thing in printing.

ND 4 : for landscape

A two stop ND grad would be good for skies, but if it's a straight ND then 2 stops won't do much for you. They are intended for using low f/numbers in bright light, rather than very long shutter speeds. If the latter is what you want, ND4 is not dark enough.

yellow and Red for B&W

I used to find (in my film days) that yellow was a bit weak and red too strong, so I preferred orange :)

( I have a CLP and UV ).

Are there any others often used filters?

2 stops soft cut ND grad.
6 stops ND.

Ujjwal

PS :I only use films, no digital

Back