A Return To Analogue

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
No
I recently purchased a Nikon FM with a 35mm AIS lens. I bought a Tri-X bw iso 400 film.
The last time I used a film camera was over twenty years ago.
I have been using fuji X-series digital cameras for quite a while now. My main genre is in street photography.
I cannot believe how blase I had become in snapping away to pick out the best images.
Suddenly when I have thirty-six exposures that I want to go to print has stopped me in my tracks. I now want every image to be worthy of putting in a gallery.
I now know I cannot just photoshop out distractions and crop out poorly composed frames.
I am using a handheld exposure meter to confirm my in-camera indicator is somewhere near.
My aim is to take my thirty-six exposures to a darkroom workshop where I can process and print the images myself,
so if anyone knows of such a workshop in Yorkshire, I would be most appreciative.
Beyond that, I can definitely recommend a return to analogue to reawaken your senses.

I recently purchased a Nikon FM with a 35mm AIS lens. I bought a Tri-X bw iso 400 film.
I have been using fuji X-series digital cameras for quite a while now. My main genre is in street photography.
I cannot believe how blase I had become in snapping away to pick out the best images.
Suddenly when I have thirty-six exposures that I want to go to print has stopped me in my tracks. I now want every image to be worthy of putting in a gallery.
I now know I cannot just photoshop out distractions and crop out poorly composed frames.
I am using a handheld exposure meter to confirm my in-camera indicator is somewhere near.
My aim is to take my thirty-six exposures to a darkroom workshop where I can process and print the images myself,
so if anyone knows of such a workshop in Yorkshire, I would be most appreciative.
Beyond that, I can definitely recommend a return to analogue to reawaken your senses.
Welcome back to the wonderful world of film Robert, but don't go beating yourself up about having 36 keepers off a roll, since not many of us manage that. The main thing is to enjoy and learn, so looking forward to seeing some shots. (y)

1 good one from a roll and I'd be happy:D
If I remember rightly the big TV and media museum in Bradford used to have regular film development and print courses, that was a while ago though so worth checking.

Welcome and good luck in what you want,help is always available from members so always ask.

This may help,also west Yorkshire camera,s have a database I believe.

http://peterheaton.co.uk/darkroom-hire/

Welcome to TP Robert!

The Photo Parlour in Nottingham runs regular darkroom courses. From beginner to more advanced level. Not Yorkshire but not too far away. Especially by train. And they are located in the center of Nottingham, a short walk from the train station.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of film Robert, but don't go beating yourself up about having 36 keepers off a roll, since not many of us manage that. The main thing is to enjoy and learn, so looking forward to seeing some shots. (y)
Thank you for the welcome. I feel like I have gone back in time to another era, but I am loving the challenge. I am constantly battling the old cliche, 'one for luck' ha ha

The Photo Parlour in Nottingham runs regular darkroom courses. From beginner to more advanced level. Not Yorkshire but not too far away. Especially by train. And they are located in the center of Nottingham, a short walk from the train station.
Yes that does look a good one, and flexible to individual needs, thank you

Would it be worth sending my first roll off for development and printing, to ensure I have been using the right settings, before developing and printing my own? I already know I won't get thirty-six winners as I constantly battle the old cliche 'one for luck'

Would it be worth sending my first roll off for development and printing, to ensure I have been using the right settings, before developing and printing my own?

I guess it depends on you :) If it were me, I'd want to know that the camera was working properly (esp if it has a meter) so if it was my first time at everything I'd probably start by sending it off. Next step would be to develop the negs myself - which doesn't need a darkroom - just a bag - and is relatively inexpensive. Scanning your own can be done with a smartphone, DSLR, or scanner if you have the time/money/patience. Darkroom printing though requires much more space & expense. I've never made that leap for both reasons.

Colour film still goes to Filmdev because they are very good. B&W I home dev & scan. That's my perfect world.

Would it be worth sending my first roll off for development and printing, to ensure I have been using the right settings, before developing and printing my own? I already know I won't get thirty-six winners as I constantly battle the old cliche 'one for luck'
I'd go for develop and scan only initially, you can then get prints of any that are "keepers" or print them yourslf if you have a reasonable printer. You have the negatives so you can pick out any you want to wet-print and when you get chance take the negative along to the dark room and print the ones you want.

As Ian said processing your own negatives is fairly straight forward and a reasonable quality negative scanner isn't too expensive in the scheme of things, they do come up on here scond hand from time to time.

I'd go for develop and scan only initially, you can then get prints of any that are "keepers" or print them yourslf if you have a reasonable printer. You have the negatives so you can pick out any you want to wet-print and when you get chance take the negative along to the dark room and print the ones you want.

I'd agree with this - no point in getting what were traditionally crummy prints made when you can view (and possibly use directly) the images on computer.

Back