A Scruffy GSW.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken a while ago, when I had a regular GSW at my hide. It was just after the breeding season and it was in a moult.

I've had them back occasionally but not regularly.

Anyway, one from back in the day.

5Div, 100-400 L (Mk1), f5.6, 400mm, 1/200 sec, ISO 1250.

Scruffy GSW. by Dale, on Flickr

Taken a while ago, when I had a regular GSW at my hide. It was just after the breeding season and it was in a moult.

I've had them back occasionally but not regularly.

Anyway, one from back in the day.

5Div, 100-400 L (Mk1), f5.6, 400mm, 1/200 sec, ISO 1250.

Scruffy GSW. by Dale, on Flickr

'Looking a bit ragged there! 'Nice picture though.

'Looking a bit ragged there! 'Nice picture though.

Thank you.

At the time, I thought it might be juvenile. A couple of years later though, I think it's a post breeding season adult, in moult. :thinking:

They do show up occasionally still, although not seen one since last summer.

Thank you.

At the time, I thought it might be juvenile. A couple of years later though, I think it's a post breeding season adult, in moult. :thinking:

What month did you take the picture, Dale?

I'm no expert but my understanding is that once the juvenile red crown is gone, it's gone, never to return.

British GSWs moult fairly early and by later summer they are out of juvenile plumage. Other country's GSWs, however, moult later, and individuals arriving in Britain during autumn can retain juvenile plumage into October.

Looks like a juvenile male?

Thank you.

Just to add, Dale, the undertail looks much paler than that of an adult. 'Looks to me like a male who hatched in the same year.

What month did you take the picture, Dale?

I'm no expert but my understanding is that once the juvenile red crown is gone, it's gone, never to return.

British GSWs moult fairly early and by later summer they are out of juvenile plumage. Other country's GSWs, however, moult later, and individuals arriving in Britain during autumn can retain juvenile plumage into October.

Looks like a juvenile male?

I had to check, I thought September but it's actually towards the end of August, 2018. Your theory of it being a juvenile male, probably hatched earlier that year, does add up. I'm happy to go with that. :)

Thank you for the input. I learned something there. (y)

I had to check, I thought September but it's actually towards the end of August, 2018. Your theory of it being a juvenile male, probably hatched earlier that year, does add up. I'm happy to go with that. :)

Thank you for the input. I learned something there. (y)

No bother, Dale. The other feature that strongly suggests juvenile is that the black part of the facial pattern is much less defined than that of an adult.

All things considered, I don't see how the bird can be anything other than a juvenile hatched in the same year, given that they're out of juvenile plumage by the end of the year.

Either way, nice picture!

Back