Critique A small collection of flies...

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I took up macro photography halfway through last year and instantly loved it. I was fascinated by all the amazing things I was finding (the vast majority just from my back garden) and enjoyed learning about the various bugs I had captured .

I particularly liked some of the diptera species I was discovering and I'm looking forward to increasing my collection this year. Here is a selection I took last year which are fairly representative of the type of stuff I am doing:

262/365/2013 - Pretty fly for a white guy...
by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

271/365/2013 - Here I sit and contemplate...

232/365/2013 - Flat-Footed Fly

272/365/2013 - Blue Bottle

Banded Mosquito

Grumpy looking Heleomyzid

The majority of these were taken with the MP-E at around F11-13. The mosquito was with my 50mm prime on a full set of cheap extension tubes.

I'm looking for any critique you can offer as I'm always looking to improve. I suppose I do quite heavy processing on my images (flies in particular) so interested in your thoughts on this along with any other advice you may have.

Thanks for looking

Tim, I do not do macro myself, it's always something I would like to try but I would say some good results there and I would be proud turning images like that around within a year of starting. Keep on!

Excellent colours, details and clarity Tim. What flash are you using? You seem to have it under super control.

I'd prefer deeper dof, but that's a personal taste thing, and not if it degrades the excellence of the image quality you are producing. How much are you cropping? With the rig you are using do you have latitude to use less magnification and crop a bit more? Or perhaps you are already exploiting that as far as is practical. And I don't suppose you'd want to decrease the aperture. Have you tried/do you use any stacking?

Could you give some indication of what your heavy processing involves?

How about showing us some of your globular springtails (and mention the size of them!) I think they are gob-smackingly impressive.

As a side issue, I've just discovered that Firefox is messing up my viewing of images. That's documented in this post. I'm even more impressed with your images now I'm looking at them in Chrome.

Oh my, I've just been looking at your Flickr photostream. You have some eye-wateringly wonderful stuff there. I see you are mainly filling a large proportion of the frame with your subjects. Do "environmental" shots from further back have any appeal? (I like to have both sorts, or a "zoom in" over several shots when I can arrange it - the ordering done in PP btw, not during capture.)

Superb shots with nice details
You've got the lighting spot on
My favourite is the first one fantastic colour and detail:)

Thanks all

Excellent colours, details and clarity Tim. What flash are you using?...

Thanks Nick, I use a canon 430 EX II speedlight with a DIY diffuser (made from an ice-cream box and a sheet of kitchen roll)

I'd prefer deeper dof, but that's a personal taste thing, and not if it degrades the excellence of the image quality you are producing. How much are you cropping? With the rig you are using do you have latitude to use less magnification and crop a bit more? Or perhaps you are already exploiting that as far as is practical. And I don't suppose you'd want to decrease the aperture. Have you tried/do you use any stacking?
Yeah it's always that balance. To be honest I think I could probably get away with a bit smaller aperture without diffraction being too noticeable, but then it reduces the available light to enable me to focus etc. I'm not really one to do all the technical testing so tend to get that info from others. I found that F13 was about right for 1-2X magnification (a lot of articles I read didn't recommend going above F11). The calculation for effective aperture is F-Number x (Magnification + 1), so for me on my crop sensor is 13 X (1.6+1) or F33.8 at minimum magnification so I can understand why people are a bit reluctant to push it much further than that.

For cropping, there is some, but it's mainly to the sides (for a square crop). Again, I'm a bit hindered by my cropped sensor here (or I'm taking advantage of the additional magnification, if you are a "cup half-full" type of person). Ultimately, for fine detail I'm trying to use my available pixels to the max so aiming to fill the frame where possible.

I have tried stacking, but the flies I capture don't tend to stick around or at least keep still when I'm firing my flash at them. I am also very lazy when it comes to photography. Although I have been known to rise before dawn on a couple of occasions, I rarely have the motivation for those early mornings for natural light bug shots where they are all still sleepy. I tend to attempt focus stacking when I'm at much higher magnification (say 5X or what is actually more like 8X with my camera) and find an accommodating subject. At these magnifications you really do need to focus stack if you are trying to get fine details and anything other than a thin sliver in focus. It's a skill I am still learning and is consistently challenging. My best effort so far (the one I am most happy with at least) is below:

342/365/2013 - Barkfly Nymph

This was 26 images (handheld) at 8X magnification at F4 (effective aperture F36)

Could you give some indication of what your heavy processing involves?
My processing changes for different images, but I tend to start by reducing highlights and increasing shadows, usually to the maximum. This forms a very flat looking image, similar to an HDR effect, which I then bring contrast back into (and any further colour corrections). I suppose this is what I mean by heavy processing, and creates what I describe as a "graphic" look. I sometimes do some dodging and burning layers to enhance the shapes before finishing with sharpening. I used to use Lightroom for all my processing but have recently moved to doing the final stages in photoshop and making use of the layer functionality. I enjoy the post processing stages, so don't mind spending some time trying to get the most out of an image, but I am probably guilty of pushing it a bit far at times and understand it may not be to everyone's taste.

How about showing us some of your globular springtails (and mention the size of them!) I think they are gob-smackingly impressive.
Sure! Glad you like them. I'll post some in a new thread ;)

I see you are mainly filling a large proportion of the frame with your subjects. Do "environmental" shots from further back have any appeal? (I like to have both sorts, or a "zoom in" over several shots when I can arrange it - the ordering done in PP btw, not during capture.)
Yeah I actually really like environmental shots and showing the bugs in their miniature worlds. I adopted a square crop just as another personal challenge with composition really and to try and curb my fondness for negative space, but I have found it a bit restrictive at times. I will try and mix it up a bit more this year ;)

Thanks all for looking and all the positive feedback

Great feedback Tim. Thanks so much. Please excuse all the questions but I keep wavering on the edge of kitting out with the 100mm macro and MPE-65 (70D perhaps, very appealing), which is why I am so intensely interested in your techniques. Please also excuse any misconceptions I come across with, as I have never used a dSLR and so I have no practical experience of some of the issues, like this first one for example. :)

I think I could probably get away with a bit smaller aperture without diffraction being too noticeable, but then it reduces the available light to enable me to focus

Isn't focusing done with the aperture wide open (and hence independent of the aperture used for the shot)?

The calculation for effective aperture is F-Number x (Magnification + 1), so for me on my crop sensor is 13 X (1.6+1) or F33.8 at minimum magnification...

I'm puzzled. Surely minimum magnification with the MPE-65 is 1, irrespective of the crop factor (i.e. what you get on the sensor is life size, irrespective of crop factor). That being the case shouldn't the calculation for f/13 be 13 x (1+1) = f/26?

I tend to attempt focus stacking when I'm at much higher magnification (say 5X or what is actually more like 8X with my camera) and find an accommodating subject. At these magnifications you really do need to focus stack if you are trying to get fine details and anything other than a thin sliver in focus. It's a skill I am still learning and is consistently challenging. My best effort so far (the one I am most happy with at least) is below:

342/365/2013 - Barkfly Nymph

This was 26 images (handheld) at 8X magnification at F4 (effective aperture F36)

That is amazing. Handheld. Goodness me. How do you go about getting so many (suitable) images? Do you take them in one sweep, or is it more "scattergun" and work out a sequence to stack afterwards. Isn't there a flash recharge issue with that many captures (assuming you are doing them in quite rapid succession)? What do you use for the stacking?

And 8X. A scene width of under 3mm on a 22mm sensor. Gosh. Are you using extension tubes with the MPE-65?

My processing changes for different images, but I tend to start by reducing highlights and increasing shadows, usually to the maximum. This forms a very flat looking image, similar to an HDR effect, which I then bring contrast back into (and any further colour corrections). I suppose this is what I mean by heavy processing, and creates what I describe as a "graphic" look. I sometimes do some dodging and burning layers to enhance the shapes before finishing with sharpening. I used to use Lightroom for all my processing but have recently moved to doing the final stages in photoshop and making use of the layer functionality. I enjoy the post processing stages, so don't mind spending some time trying to get the most out of an image, but I am probably guilty of pushing it a bit far at times ...

Doesn't look like OTT PP to me, in terms of either results or techniques. My approach is somewhat similar, including using Lightroom and then finishing in Photoshop, mainly for noise reduction using layers and occasional minor cloning, and for sharpening - I don't like the way Lightroom handles output sharpening.

Great feedback Tim. Thanks so much. Please excuse all the questions but I keep wavering on the edge of kitting out with the 100mm macro and MPE-65 (70D perhaps, very appealing), which is why I am so intensely interested in your techniques. Please also excuse any misconceptions I come across with, as I have never used a dSLR and so I have no practical experience of some of the issues, like this first one for example. :)
No problems at all, I love a good knowledge share ;)

See my thoughts here on an initial MP-E purchase.

Isn't focusing done with the aperture wide open (and hence independent of the aperture used for the shot)?
It is, but I am probably referring to the good old days when all I had was a cheap set of extension tubes and a 50mm prime. With that setup I had to set my aperture before mounting the lens, and that's where light became more of an issue. To be honest I usually struggle for light anyway and I've probably associated that with aperture as that's how I learned the focussing technique. At higher magnifications I usually need a further light source (a torch) to assist with foussing, but you are quite right, the MP-E will be wide open until you hit the shutter.

I'm puzzled. Surely minimum magnification with the MPE-65 is 1, irrespective of the crop factor (i.e. what you get on the sensor is life size, irrespective of crop factor). That being the case shouldn't the calculation for f/13 be 13 x (1+1) = f/26?
You are right again. I'm confusing magnification with focal distance (or something like that), but how you described it makes much more sense. Apologies for any confusion caused. The good news is I'm not operating at the aperture size I thought I was!

That is amazing. Handheld. Goodness me. How do you go about getting so many (suitable) images? Do you take them in one sweep, or is it more "scattergun" and work out a sequence to stack afterwards. Isn't there a flash recharge issue with that many captures (assuming you are doing them in quite rapid succession)? What do you use for the stacking?
I do try to do a full sweep, usually from front to back and back to front again, then select the images that are most aligned and hope I have a full set of each focal point. These are handheld but I keep as much of my body on the ground as possible (including my hands) to minimise movement. Even so it's very difficult to keep the subject in centre of frame, and you need a set of reasonably well aligned images to get a good result from the stacking software. I can't use an external power source for my flash, but if my AAs are newly charged, I can get quite good recharge rates. That said it will take a second or two between each shot so I ill need a compliant subject. I use zerene stacker to do the actual stack, and this software has a great facility for correction using individual frames once the stack is completed. In this instance the barkfly nymph was moving the antenna slightly, so I had to just isolate these from a couple of frames (it's a bit like using the clone stamp tool in PS I suppose).

And 8X. A scene width of under 3mm on a 22mm sensor. Gosh. Are you using extension tubes with the MPE-65?
Yep I still use my cheap extension tubes even on my MP-E (although I was counting my silly crop factor calculation in here). Again I have to set the aperture before mounting the lens. One day I'll splash out on some fancy tubes with contact points, but before then I would like to get a 1.4X teleconverter to really get close ;)

Doesn't look like OTT PP to me, in terms of either results or techniques. My approach is somewhat similar, including using Lightroom and then finishing in Photoshop, mainly for noise reduction using layers and occasional minor cloning, and for sharpening - I don't like the way Lightroom handles output sharpening.
Yeah completely agree. I used to rely on the clarity slider in Lightroom, but reprocessed some early images with PS and the improvement was obvious. It takes more time and fills up my hard drive with PSD files, but I think it's worth the extra effort.

Thanks again for your comments. Re; your choice of macro lens, I think it depends on what size bugs you want to shoot. Nothing to stop you getting some cheap extension tubes and trying that for a while before buying a dedicated lens though. I would lend you my MP-E to try out if I wasn't so attached to it and using it so often ;)

Incidentally my brother just got the Canon EOS M with EF lens adapter. I really want to try my macro rig on that. Not sure how it will perform, but it has the same sensor as my dSLR and if I can reduce the weight of my setup it will be a relief!

Last edited:
No problems at all, I love a good knowledge share ;)

Me too. I find they are quite difficult to come by though!

At higher magnifications I usually need a further light source (a torch) to assist with foussing, but you are quite right, the MP-E will be wide open until you hit the shutter.

My rig is obviously much inferior in the image quality it is capable of capturing (see below), but one of its advantages is that I don't lose light and I can use autofocus (with no additional light source) in almost all of the light conditions I work in (sometimes rather dim) and at any magnification available to me (which is down to scenes about 3mm in width, although I don't know that I've ever had a successful image at that scale. I rarely go beyond 8mm-ish scene width, which is of course in the region of 3:1 in APS-C terms or 4:1 in full frame terms). I almost always use autofocus (using a single, small, moveable focus box).

I do try to do a full sweep, usually from front to back and back to front again, then select the images that are most aligned and hope I have a full set of each focal point. These are handheld but I keep as much of my body on the ground as possible (including my hands) to minimise movement. Even so it's very difficult to keep the subject in centre of frame, and you need a set of reasonably well aligned images to get a good result from the stacking software. I can't use an external power source for my flash, but if my AAs are newly charged, I can get quite good recharge rates. That said it will take a second or two between each shot so I ill need a compliant subject. I use zerene stacker to do the actual stack, and this software has a great facility for correction using individual frames once the stack is completed. In this instance the barkfly nymph was moving the antenna slightly, so I had to just isolate these from a couple of frames (it's a bit like using the clone stamp tool in PS I suppose).

Fascinating that you can get that technique to work. I think I shall be trying more experiments with stacking. I have used Zerene for the small stacks I have done thus far; not very many of them, and generally using images that weren't captured with stacking in mind. One of my intentions for this year is to shoot more captures with stacking in mind.

Yep I still use my cheap extension tubes even on my MP-E (although I was counting my silly crop factor calculation in here). Again I have to set the aperture before mounting the lens. One day I'll splash out on some fancy tubes with contact points, but before then I would like to get a 1.4X teleconverter to really get close ;)

Another nice thing about my rig is that everything works as normal, including setting apertures.

Yeah completely agree. I used to rely on the clarity slider in Lightroom, but reprocessed some early images with PS and the improvement was obvious. It takes more time and fills up my hard drive with PSD files, but I think it's worth the extra effort.

I like Lightroom for cropping and arranging the intensity and distribution of light. As part of that I generally apply a very modest amount of Clarity (+10) and an even more modest amount of Vibrance (+5). I think it is really easy to mess up an image with Clarity and Vibrance. I am much freer in my use of Shadows, Highlights, Whites and Blacks, which along with Exposure constitute my main tools for coaxing light to where I would like it to be. It is not uncommon for Highlights to be at its minimum setting and/or Shadows to be pretty high. I often end up pulling Highlights and Whites in opposite directions, which somehow seems rather counterintuitive (as is my impression that Whites have a rather large influence on the intensity of colours in the image). Similarly, Blacks and Shadows may go in opposite directions. As with Clarity and Vibrance, I routinely use a rather small amount of Contrast (+5).

As a standard part of my workflow I apply a very mild defog and very mild Curves in CS (i.e. a bit more massaging of the light distribution and micro-contrast) before resizing and doing the output sharpening.

I pass images from Lightroom to Photoshop (and occasionally back) using tiff files, which I then throw away.

Re; your choice of macro lens, I think it depends on what size bugs you want to shoot. Nothing to stop you getting some cheap extension tubes and trying that for a while before buying a dedicated lens though. I would lend you my MP-E to try out if I wasn't so attached to it and using it so often ;)

Here we get to the nub of it. I'm not using a dSLR. I'm using a fixed lens ultra-zoom/bridge camera with a tiny sensor. So prime macro lenses, and extension tubes, are not runners until I invest in an interchangeable lens camera. I did use a micro-four thirds Panasonic G3 for a couple of years, but I wasn't convinced that I got any better results from it than with my bridge cameras even though its sensor was 9 times larger in area. I know this seems rather counter-intuitive/unlikely, but I had worked out before getting the G3 that it might be the case, but I had to try it to convince myself.

So I'm using a large zoom, general purpose fixed lens which obviously is much inferior optically to the lens(es) you use, in front of a 10 times smaller sensor, which obviously cannot capture the quality that larger sensors can, and happens to be a particularly noisy example of the breed, and then sticking inexpensive pieces of glass (achromats) in front of it. You can see why I'm interested in something a bit more tailored to the type of photography I'm into, and the implications in terms of technique of using equipment that is so different from what I am used to. On which score you are being both inspirational, and highly educational, for which I sincerely thank you on both counts.

Incidentally my brother just got the Canon EOS M with EF lens adapter. I really want to try my macro rig on that. Not sure how it will perform, but it has the same sensor as my dSLR and if I can reduce the weight of my setup it will be a relief!

Yes, weight is another thing that pulls me back a bit in my toing and froing/shall I, shan't I indecision about getting a dSLR and having access to the superb optics that you use.

Last edited:
Back