A very handy MS Windows tip. Treat a folder as a disk drive.

Marcel

Kim Jong Bod
Admin
Name
Marcel
Edit My Images
Yes
Want to treat a folder, like it's a drive? (Rather like a mapped network drive)
Courtesy of someone over at the DVD forums, I've just found this link. Why did I not know about this before.

A very handy tip indeed.

Open up a command window (Start->Run type cmd in the textbox then click OK in Win 2k/XP) and enter the following in the resulting window:

mkdir C:\MyFolder
subst M: C:\MyFolder

Will create a new folder C:\MyFolder and then create a drive M that equates to C:\MyFolder. If you need this to persist over a reboot/logoff then just add a new command file to your startup folder with subst M: C:\MyFolder in it

feeson said:
I dont get it (Hi BTW :wink: ) whats the advantage of doing this Bod?

Well after scratching my (almost bald) head for several minutes thinking about this I have concluded that I have no idea at all what the benefit of this is? Any chance of shedding some light on the subject for us Bod? :shock:

The advantage of this trick is to make two drives look like one. You could whack all your sorted and "folderised" pics on one drive - when it runs out of space, add a new hard drive and then link new folders into the old structure. From the user point of view it looks like one drive and folder structure but in fact it isn't. It saves you having to buy huge new disks and moving all your existing data onto that new disk.

Cheers

Oz said:
The advantage of this trick is to make two drives look like one. You could whack all your sorted and "folderised" pics on one drive - when it runs out of space, add a new hard drive and then link new folders into the old structure. From the user point of view it looks like one drive and folder structure but in fact it isn't. It saves you having to buy huge new disks and moving all your existing data onto that new disk.

Cheers

Ahhh now that I can understand and see the benefit of :D I will look into this in the next week or so as I am about to do some reorganizing of files and folders and this will save me quite a lot of time [smilie=t:

Sorry, Steve. What I wrote above doesn't exactly explain the original post. The original post comment refers to making a folder way down a drive structure look like a disk all of it's own. It saves navigating down that folder structure every time. I use this style command to merge my disks so that it provides a single logical structure from various disk sources, even remote disks!

I should have explained that better first time ;)

Oz said:
I should have explained that better first time ;)

Thanks for going into more detail sir, you have no need to apologise for taking the trouble to help :)

Back