A wasp

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't been doing this very long - using my first camera which has a 'macro' setting and I assume some sort of basic macro lens built in!?!?

The macro stuff has confused me since the manual says that I can't use the zoom when in macro mode so I have to stick the camera right in the wasps face as close as I can get without it flying away. If I do zoom in I have trouble focusing, even on manual focus.

Anyway...here is my first happy shot of a wasp on my window. Any advice on how I can get them mega shots that everyone else seems to get?

wasps.jpg

fantastic.............

there not much wrong with this macro with lots of detail.

i'd be proud.

You've done very very well here so don't knock yourself down. Excellent detail captured.

With regards to macro, dedicated Macro lenses are what many of us use here. I have a Sigma 105, there's a Canon 60mm and 100mm but the daddy of them all is the Canon MPE-65 - That is an insane lens. 5:1 mag. Can you interchange lenses on your Fuji? If so, source out a macro lens or even extension tubes if you want to try the cheaper option to give it a whirl.

The problem with anything is that, the closer you get to something, the less of it in focus. Try it yourself, look at something on your desk with your own eyes (no lens). You can see it all nice and sharp and focussed. However, move right up close to it as you have less light, your pupil dilates and of course your peripheral vision lessens, you are able to see less of the item and indeed although it's no where near as apparant with our eyes, the central focal point is sharper in view than the detail away from the centre and the detail further beyond the subject which becomes blurred.

It's the same with lenses. If you use a very wide aperture, less of the subject is in focus (relative to distance from the subject). Combine that with getting right up close and your "depth of Field (or focus)" - DoF is very small. you can get better DoF by using a smaller aperture when up close. F8 - F11 or smaller, as opposed to F2.8 etc. However, the smaller the aperture, of course, the more light required so flash or a good strong source of natural light is needed. Use this with a faster shutter speed such as 1/200th. Provided you get enough light, you can get good DoF and no camera shake due to the shutter.

As for focussing issues. Or in otherwords, keeping steady :), because even breathing can lose you your focus, it's best to tray and brace against something, breathe slowly outwards and when you're almost at the point of inhaling, take your shot (very much the same rules as a sniper in prone position). This will hopefulyl result in a more steady and sharp shot.

Also, a tripod and focussing rail are very useful to have.

Last edited:
Thanks...I am proud, but I know most (if not all) of the posts on here put mine to shame. I have just been in the garden getting bitten doing a few more insects. I am guessing I will never be able to focus in reeeaally close without a good macro lens though?

blackbeetle.jpg

ladybirdd.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Ian. Is there anyway I can do this utilising my zoom? It seems a shame to have to crop so much away.

Have to admit I'm not overly sure. Give it a go but I'd recommend balancing the camera on something to steady it if you can.

Back