A word of warning.

S

stepheno

Last night we had a water leak in the house..a ball-cock jammed, the overflow froze over and the water seeped through the ceiling into the hall where I keep my photography gear. Fortunately most of the water ran over the chest of drawers which I keep kit in but my camera bag was on the top and took a lot of the of the water. It contained my 20D, 50mm, 70-300, 18-200, filters, meter, media etc. :doh:

The top of the bag was soaked but, thankfully, all my kit was bone dry. The moral is I suppose - think about where you store your kit. Oh....and am I glad I bought a Billingham bag - it saved the day.

regards

ouch, good news about the kit though :)

Bad luck on the leak, but sounds like you were lucky in other respects - glad it was a pleasant ending. Was expecting the worst as the thread began:rain:

:thumb:

Yes - it could have been catastrophic. I will need to look at the insurance aspect though whether the kit is covered through the house contents or a separate policy. But I'll have to do something.

regards

Narrow escape!! Actually you should indeed not be too casual about where you store your gear and give it a bit of thought. A normally heated room or area in your home is really ideal where it isn't subject to sudden changes in teperature leading to condensation when you get it out.

Be wary of dumping your bag of gear down on the carpet when you come in too. All sorts of critters live in your average carpet, and I once picked up a bug in my Nikon F4 viewfinder. It was extremely annoying and distracting watching his antics when I was trying to concenrate on wedding shots. I took the camera to my repair guy but all his efforts failed to get the little git out, he just dived down into the bowels of the camera somewhere, and re-appeared next time I used the camera. :banghead:

He eventually either vacated or got mashed in the shutter - I like to think the latter. :cool: It's not unheard of for bugs to breed in there and for the camera to become badly infested so something else to be aware of.

Not so much a problem with digital - the bugs used to feed on the gelatin on the film (in case you were all wondering what they fed on...).

i suppose they only have ' chips ' to feed on in digital camera's,

and we all know thats not good for you , lol

MyPix:getmecoat

Grooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan :nunu:

regards

Back