Beginner A 'worthwhile' step up from the Panasonic LX15 compact?

hom

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I bought the LX15 as my first camera a couple of years ago based on it ticking the most boxes over it's closest rivals, and the pros out-weighing the cons. Whilst I continue to have a good experience using it, and am not in any way planning to replace it - it goes everywhere in my pocket - I would like to 'step up' somewhat and get myself something a bit more serious.

The dilemma I have is what kind of thing is a worthwhile step up? I emphasize worthwhile as that's really the important word here. I'm very new to photography and it's still a minor pastime so I certainly don't want to break the bank. The LX15 is currently ~£400, so I guess I'm looking at a max target price of maybe double that. But I can't help but look at a lot of the stuff in that range and see only marginal potential improvements on what I already have, or in some cases what I would consider genuine downgrades. Obviously going to a larger sensor seems like the biggest area of upgrade, but then is that really worthwhile at the price range I'm looking at? Are the photos - assuming I take them correctly of course - going to be noticeably better in image quality using any of the standard kit lens's on offer?

Any suggestions welcome. I have no preference for any manufacturer or type of photography, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

I've never used an LX15 but I gather it's a 1" sensor compact and therefore might give image quality similar to my TZ100 which is also a Panasonic 1" sensor compact and if that's the case it'll be relatively easy to better it for image quality, if you go looking for the differences. £800 is quite a good budget and will get you some nice kit especially if you'll consider buying used?

I have a couple of Micro Four Thirds cameras, a Panasonic GX9 and a GX80 and a number of lenses. The GX80 in particular sometimes crops up at good prices. You mention kit lenses and there's a tiny Panasonic which I think is good. There's a few lenses with similar names and descriptions but this is the one I'm talking about...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-II-VARIO-ASPH-14/dp/B00B7FOVAM

This lens doesn't have as wide an aperture as the lens on your LX15 but I'd still expect the results to be a step up. You could also possibly think about adding a f2.8 zoom or a f1.8 prime such as a 17 or 25mm f1.8. Most of my MFT lenses were bought used and they're relatively easy to find at reasonable prices on the used market. The two cameras I've mentioned are RF style but there are also SLR style cameras to choose from, both Panasonic and Olympus, and all these MFT cameras can use the same MFT lenses.

Talking about reasonable prices, you could take a look at a new or used Sony A6000 which is an APS-C RF style camera or even a used Sony A7 (I have one of these) which is a FF camera. There's a 28-70mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens and if looking at used kit both an A7 and kit lens should come within budget.

There are more things you could look at with a budget of up to £800 so good luck choosing.

The best suggestion I can offer is: decide what the LX15 can't do that you want it to. It doesn't have an eye level viewfinder - is that a problem? The zoom range is only 3 times - Is that a problem? Do you really think the image quality is holding you back? I use cameras having sensors from 1/2.3" to full frame. They all provide image quality I find acceptable so what is it you're not getting? Once you've decided on the questions you really need to ask you'll get much more useful replies.

Thanks both for your replies, given me something to think about.

I actually hadn't considered buying used at all, but perhaps that is an avenue worth exploring.

That's an interesting question about what the LX15 can't do that I want it to, as thinking more about it I think my motivations and considerations maybe haven't been aligned. My motivation wasn't in looking for a replacement, so much as an additional more 'premium' option for occasions. But actually my considerations have all revolved essentially looking for something that's better in every way, which I guess doesn't have to be the case. So I guess I need to work out if I feel comfortable going 'backwards' on some things if I can gain on others.

I've singled out the Fujifilm X-T30 which seems to have favourable reviews. I've also looked at it's listed 'competitors', but it still appeals to me more than any of those.

Could anybody give me any advice on possible downsides to this camera or Fuji's in general. Also would be glad to hear any glowing recommendations from any owners.

Back