A3 Printers

Edit My Images
Yes
Chaps looking for a little insight from people that have already purchased A3 printers.

I have been looking around and I am drawn to the Pixma Pro 9500 or 9000 can anyone give me an idea of the real world print quality and the usage you get from the cartridges...

I know that is a leading question dependant on what the images are of and large blocks of colour, just looking for a ball park idea as to the number of A3 print you could expect to get from a full set of cartridges.

Also I have read some horror stories regarding use of cheaper inks, is everyone out there using the canon inks... has anyone fitted a CIS system to either of these printers if so what are you views.

Regards

Nigel

I can't help with those specific printers mate, but I am more than happy with the quality of the HP B9180 Pro A3+ printer. I get through a LOT of prints a month, costs me approx £40 a month to replenish inks....

Gary.

The Canon 9500 is an amazing printer, it really is.

I dont use one myself but have use one and seen the results from one, and I'm very impressed and have a lab finish look to them.

If you want the best results I would defiantely recommend using Canon inks and cartridged though, Canon printers dont like CIS systems as I've heard about quite a few that make a mess all inside the print heads and eventually break the printer.

But again that's down to your choice.

But I wish you all the best with your choice, one think maybe worth thinking about is talking to your local Jessops store as they have a regional Canon representative who comes round every so many saturdays, i'm sure you could speak to him to get him to bring one down to use in store and test out on a few of your images. I know my local Jessops will do that, but obviously not for like a £99 Canon Selphy.

Definately worth asking about

I can't help with those specific printers mate, but I am more than happy with the quality of the HP B9180 Pro A3+ printer. I get through a LOT of prints a month, costs me approx £40 a month to replenish inks....

Gary.

Gary

Cheers for that mate... How old is that model mate as I must admit I have not read up on that I was fixating on the canon's at the time...

What is the cost of complete ink set for that model I take it the £40 a month is for part replenishment how many cartridges does it take...

Now I have asked the questions here I will have a quick google to see what i can see....

Cheers mate.

NIgel

As with regards to the 9500 by Canon it has all this funky stuff built in which means it uses 5x less ink than a similar Epson brand. And it doesn't dry up even over months of non-use.

Gary

Cheers for that mate... How old is that model mate as I must admit I have not read up on that I was fixating on the canon's at the time...

What is the cost of complete ink set for that model I take it the £40 a month is for part replenishment how many cartridges does it take...

Now I have asked the questions here I will have a quick google to see what i can see....

Cheers mate.

NIgel

If I remember, 8 cartridges. I happen to replace the Light Magenta a lot (skin tones), and next in line is normally the Matt Black.....

It has a pretty incredible review on various sites, and I can't see the difference in quality when compared to Loxley and my own local pro printers. I do see a difference in paper obviously - I love the Calumet paper, I think it's branded "BRILLIANT"....I use gloss.

Gary.
EDIT: I think if you *really* shop around, £20 for an official cartridge...I am sure it comes filled.

I just got an A3 printer.. bought used for 90 quid.. canon ix5000 .. I always use canon inks with no refilling and canon "photo glossy plus II" paper.. all original ink and paper.. I am selling prints and want to give quality for the money..

Epson R2400 here. Pretty much all A3+ printers have excellent quality - I bought that because it uses pigment inks rather than dye inks. Quality is first class and is still a top performer a few years after I purchased it. HTey certainly benefit from regular use.

I changed to a CIS system because ink cartridge costs were getting high and I can now by 10x as much ink for the same cost. I use a Fotospeed CIS and their papersa and custom profiles are fitst class - as is their customer support.

My favourite is now Platunim Lustre but I also like their cheaper pigment Friendly Lustre.

Another R2400 user here and bought for the same reason. With 3 different black cartridges you get unprecedentedly good B&W prints. I use refillable cartridges though rather than the CIS but it has the same effect really only it leaves the printer more mobile.

if i was going A3 then the HP B9180 astonishing quality and its b+w is superb with the canned profiles.

Anything larger than A3 it would have to be an Epson Pro series printer and a RIP to do it justice

if i was going A3 then the HP B9180 astonishing quality and its b+w is superb with the canned profiles.

Anything larger than A3 it would have to be an Epson Pro series printer and a RIP to do it justice

If I was buying now it would be a 3880 or 4880. Bigger ink tanks will pay for the printer themselves over time.

If I was buying now it would be a 3880 or 4880. Bigger ink tanks will pay for the printer themselves over time.

The HP B9180 gives better prints than both the 3880 4880 unless driven through a RIP, and is considerably cheaper, if printing on a large volume i would suggest the 24" range of epson or hp printers lowering costs again through less wastage and cheaper consumables (paper and ink) and better size capability and nesting options of the prints.

all based on using B9180, 4000, 4800, 7800, 9800, 7900, 9900 for personal and commercial printing both large and small scale.

I'm currently running 7800, 9900 and imageprint RIP.

All off top as OP was interested in an A3 printer.

Just a thought, if Nigel sent each of you a copy of an image and you printed and posted it back to him with with a note of which printer you are using, not necessarily A3 sized print, he could then compare them ........ and then forward them to me as I am also starting to look at A3 printers and would be interested in comparing the different ones . How's that for a cheeky request :D

My only vote EVER for a Canon product :D would be the i9950 which I've used for years

Except that you can't buy it anymore (it's been replaced about 3 years ago I think)

Cheap as chips original cartridges from Inkraider.co.uk has seen me a happy boy for about 6/7 years now, so I'd say that anything modern as its replacement would be the top of my list if I were after one now

DD

Another B9180 user here with fotorite pigment inks and fully profiled for all my papers.

Can't spot the difference between original and fotorite inks.

Quality is fab.

Another B9180 user here with fotorite pigment inks and fully profiled for all my papers.

Can't spot the difference between original and fotorite inks.

Quality is fab.

Hi Mark.

Just wonder if you can help me as i have problems with my colours when printing.
I also use the B9180 and Fotorite pigment inks.
I have only just bought the inks but i am having problems with the colours when printing.
After telephoning the supplier they recommend i get a custom profile made. Could you please recommend a company to supply me with a profile and could you also recommend some paper which will work well with the iFotorite inks.
Thanks in advance hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards Lea.

Canon ink is not all that expensive! :D

Look here!

I used to have the Pro9500, i got it more for printing my A3 artwork than photos but i did some on it.

Yes it's a fantastic printer, mind blowing in fact, especially printing B&W, something that used to wind me up beyond belief though is the amount of times it used to shake the ink tanks, at first switch on, before printing, in between printing, after printing sometimes.

And anyone that says it's cheap to run is with all respect talking out of their backside, 10 tank printers are FAR from cheap to run, and my Mk1 was notorious for ink tank errors (i only ever used genuine ink i must add), i've known it take 30 mins to produce a single A3 print.

I sold it on in the end, i'm about as relaxed as they come but it wound me up far too much.

Maybe i had a monday morning/friday afternoon build, who knows, just my experience of it.

I have had a Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II for a couple of months now

The quality is absolutely stunning :clap:

Not sure about ink consumption, but it doesn't seem to be too excessive
It's also surprisingly quiet, well it surprised me

I always use Canon ink and paper

Canon used to do a "send us a pic and we'll print before you buy" service
don't know if they still do:shrug:

I have had a Pixma Pro 9500 Mk II for a couple of months now

The quality is absolutely stunning :clap:

Not sure about ink consumption, but it doesn't seem to be too excessive
It's also surprisingly quiet, well it surprised me

I always use Canon ink and paper

Canon used to do a "send us a pic and we'll print before you buy" service
don't know if they still do:shrug:

To be honest there's not that much between any of them in IQ at that level.

Back