A380 Great Curves

That is extremely impressive indeed.

Great black and white conversion with a superb range of tones (y)

Wow, that is fantastic. One of the best shots I have seen of this beast.
Love it in B&W and that heat haze is great.

Very nice image :D

One thing that strikes me is that the inboard engine(s) look to be larger diameter that the outboard(s). I thought bearing in mind the Qantas problem that they were all RR Trent 900 series???

Thanks for the comments (y)

One thing that strikes me is that the inboard engine(s) look to be larger diameter that the outboard(s). I thought bearing in mind the Qantas problem that they were all RR Trent 900 series???

I think Emirates A380's use Engine Alliance GP7000, not RR Trent.
EA is a 50/50 joint venture between GE and Pratt & Whitney.
The reason they kept flying while other Airlines were grounded after the Qantas Incident.

The size difference may be an illusion, on landing only the inboard engines seem to use reverse thrust.

Last edited:
Cracking image of the curverd wing.

They do look to be different sizes :thinking: , and I'm sure that Emirates choose the Engine Alliance GP7000 engine for their fleet and not the Trent 900.

OK Neil can type faster then I can :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments (y)

I think Emirates A380's use Engine Alliance GP7000, not RR Trent.
EA is a 50/50 joint venture between GE and Pratt & Whitney.
The reason they kept flying while other Airlines were grounded after the Qantas Incident.

The size difference may be an illusion, on landing only the inboard engines seem to use reverse thrust.

Cracking image of the curverd wing.

They do look to be different sizes :thinking: , and I'm sure that Emirates choose the Engine Alliance GP7000 engine for their fleet and not the Trent 900.

OK Neil can type faster then I can :LOL:

Thanks guys for the insight ref engine choice depending on the airline.

However, even accounting for the inboard being in reverse thrust configuration they still seem different ~ the inboard has a concentric ring showing that is not on the outboard one and the overall diameter looks smaller looking at the leading edge diameter that is visible.

It was my understanding that sometimes airlines will mount other engines for the purpose of "in use transport" though the only time I can think I have seen a picture was on a cargo flight??? But if this is the case why on such a new aircraft where I would have thought engines were low hours and AOK???

Edit ~ only saw your side view after posting, doh! Yes looks right and thinking about it I wonder if the apparent diff in size is also partly due to the heat haze 'magnifying' the size???

Last edited:
The outboard engines do not have reverse thrust systems. Airbus wanted to also do away with it on the inboard engines too but the EASA regulating authority would not permit it.

It was my understanding that sometimes airlines will mount other engines for the purpose of "in use transport" though the only time I can think I have seen a picture was on a cargo flight??? But if this is the case why on such a new aircraft where I would have thought engines were low hours and AOK???

Not quite sure where you're heading here. In earlier days spare engines could be carried on some of the bigger airliners eg DC10, 747, as an extra to the existing engines. Mounted between the inboard engine and the fuselage on the left hand side, the engine obviously [or not] flew dead, and was streamlined to reduce drag. The only purpose of this was a one way trip to provide a replacement engine for another airliner of the same type stranded somewhere with a dead one.

This extra mounting provision seems to have been omitted from later aircraft types. Replacement engines are either available locally, or are shipped out as required as cargo.

It's not possible to fit an engine of a different type to that for which the aircraft was built for. They don't fit or connect up.

In earlier days spare engines could be carried on some of the bigger airliners eg DC10, 747, as an extra to the existing engines. Mounted between the inboard engine and the fuselage on the left hand side, the engine obviously [or not] flew dead, and was streamlined to reduce drag. The only purpose of this was a one way trip to provide a replacement engine for another airliner of the same type stranded somewhere with a dead one.

VERY old photo of mine of a VC10 so configured at LHR:

10p2f4y.jpg

747 shown here:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/635769/M/

L1011 here:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/635769/M/

Nice old picture there Moon.

[You posted the same 747 link twice]

Back