Action camera DJI Gopro etc

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, To be honest I have never taken a great interest in photography. A couple of years ago I was given a FINEPIX HS30 which I have used occasionally. I would mainly use a camera while out sailing, either photographing or videoing wildlife but I realise the FINEPIX and salt water are not good bedfellows. I recently became aware of waterproof action cameras which seem more suited to the marine environment. Not sure whether I am on the right forum here but wonder whether anyone could help me choose the right one. Thanks Mike

It depends very much on how much you want to spend. GoPro are the market leaders, but there are a whole contingent of cut price knock-offs that do 90% of the things at 80% of the quality at 40% of the price. i have a couple of GoPro Hero Sessions for motorsport use.

Have had a go pro. They are excellent. Now have the action 2. Really nice and small so works well for me.

I'm a massive cycling fan (road and XC) and have used Go Pros to record days out on the road, cross country (XC) courses / tracks and just to record my commute on Monday when I cycle to the office. I now take my Go Pro 11 pretty much everywhere as it's small, and great fun to use. It can record video, take images, slow mo, star trails and all sorts. Great little tool if you can spare the cash.

Thanks for replies,

I felt the need to seek advice having read a few thinks online such as "2 reasons I would NEVER buy a Gopro Hero 12". (Did not understand the reasons given). Additionally there is a forum dedicated to problems people are experiencing with Gopro Hero 12. Perhaps I should be looking at a Hero 10 or 11?.

As far as I understand the method of attachment on the DJI Action 4 is sticky pads. Cannot help thinking a mechanical method of attachment might be more suitable in lots of circumstances.

I guess I will need to spend £300 to £400 for a DJI Action 3/4 or Gopro 11/12 which I am happy to do if I can choose the right model. However would have a look at the cheaper models if anyone has any suggestions.

Mike

The DJI Osmo Action series from the 2 onwards uses an extremely effective magnetic attachment system, not sticky pads (the only sticky mounts are for flat surfaces, same as Gopro). The magnetic mount uses the gopro mount on its base so you can connect it as usual then to attach the camera itself you place it on the mount and the magnets automatically pull the camera onto the correct position and attaches the two clips. To release the camera you then just have to squeeze the clip to release the camera and pull it off the magnetic mount. I find this system is really convenient compared to the GoPro system which uses a pair of fixed tabs on the camera itself so you need to screw the camera in and out each time, with the DJI system I have the mounts set up in the correct position on my chest mount, helmet, handlebar etc. and can easily clip the camera in and out as needed to each position.

Back