Action Shot Test.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
I just nipped out and got very cold and wet very quickly, photographing a flock of seagulls in the park next door. I thought it was about time I tried some servo action shots with the 1D. Conditions were awful and overcast, so to keep the shutter speeds up, I under-exposed and relied on sorting exposure out in RAW processing, so they're not the punchiest shots you'll see this week. Anyway, that's the excuses out of the way. :D

These birds were really shifting about in a high wind. I started off with a single centre AF point, but quickly found I had no hope of keeping the one AF point on the moving birds, so switched to all 45 AF points. As you'd expect, the 45 point system performed really well as long as there was nothing behind the birds except sky and infinity. It still performed remarkably well though against tree backdrops, occasionally getting confused, but to be fair, it was probably as much down to me losing focus lock during tracking.

These are colour shots btw, so you can see how grim the light was.

seagul1-01_filtered.jpg

segaull2-01_filtered.jpg

seagull3-01_filtered.jpg

All in all I'm really impressed with the focusing system on the 1D. All shots taken at ISO 400 with the 100-400L wide open at 400mm and a fairly consistent shutter speed of 1/3200 second.

The 1D is a really rubbish camera. I suggest you sell it to me. For 50p.

:hissyfit:

LOL. Let me think about it! :suspect1:

GfK said:
The 1D is a really rubbish camera. I suggest you sell it to me. For 50p.

What a Conman , you know they're selling on ebay for at least £2.75

I'll take it off you for a fiver, charity and all that....

BTW, does it takes ages to select a single AF point, scrolling through all 45....

SammyC said:
BTW, does it takes ages to select a single AF point, scrolling through all 45....

No. It's much like the 20D - you press the top right hand button on the back then scroll through the AF points. It doesn't take long as they're not all visible anyway. When you select all 45 points, only the outer circle of points shows in the viewfinder (during selection), although all the others are active.

You can actually select a single AF point and recall it at any time at the touch of a button, but I keep forgetting how to set it up. :confused: :getmecoat

Not exaclty shimmering like Jonathon Livingston but most impressive. :thumb:

Stupidly good camera for stuff like that isn't it. :cool: Not wanting to take any credit away from the user of course. ;)

LOL Thanks Daz. Something I definitely intend to do again in better light.

Sammy, you can select any one of the 45 or all 45. For conditions where a tighter focusing area is desirable, you can also select less AF points - 9 and 14 I think, instead of all 45. Really must RTFM. :whistle2:

seeing those results really makes me want the 1D :(
/Adds CT to ignore list for future posts :p

If it's any consolation Doddy, combined with the 100-400L it's bloody heavy! You really know you're swinging it about, let alone carrying it. :shock:

Well I was going to suggest popping over to your house and swiping it off you but if you've been swinging that weight around I don't hold up much chance against your body builder physic!
:D

CT said:
If it's any consolation Doddy, combined with the 100-400L it's bloody heavy! You really know you're swinging it about, let alone carrying it. :shock:
How does it compare to the 20D and grip? Heavier I'd imagine?

Who votes I should ban him for being a jammy so n so?

My mum taught me never to be jealous of another persons fortune....

But then again she also taught me that if I swallowed an apple pip, an apple tree would grow in my tummy.....
...so...I'll ask again, who thinks I should ban him? :D

PS. Some good shots there Ced.

dod said:
How does it compare to the 20D and grip? Heavier I'd imagine?

Just checked both body only, but with batteries fitted on both. The 1D feels substantially heavier, it really is a bit like picking up a housebrick!

Doddy, it's already 420 quid cheaper at Warehouse Express than I paid there for mine. ;)

The 1d II, N or not is a brilliant camera and while I'm quite happy using my wifes 10d, I'll never have quite the same faith in it.

But just to show (as you all know anyway) that is really doesn't matter too much what body you use, here's one of a thousand threads on here that illustrate the point better than any words could. :)

http://www.thephotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5967

CT said:
Doddy, it's already 420 quid cheaper at Warehouse Express than I paid there for mine. ;)
Can't hear you ;)

^^^^What Daz said ^^^^

And don't under-estimate the 20D, it's a very capable action camera. :cool:

CT said:

You wanna see my biceps after taking my 1DMk2 out with the 200mm f/1.8L on board..:dizzy:

Talk about pumping them up...:laugh1:

Yep, All nice shots but like the first and very last. Would love a 1d, oh! and an L lens!

Cedric

I would only use a single focusing point for this type of shot, but expanded to
7 AF sensors in CF.17.
This gives you more control of the focused area, which in this case should be the head of the bird.

Setting CF.20 to slow could be helpful, as the lens will be less likely to grab an area that momentarily moves behind the subject.

Even with the weight of body and lens, this type of photography is very enjoyable.
Especially when you bag a corker.

nice shots CT. even tho the last one is facing away its definately my favorite.

I had a play with Cathal McNaughton's Canon D1 (he's a PA phot who came out to Afghanistan) and it took me ages - literally ages to figure it all out - maybe I've been using Nikons for too long, but even if it were significantly better in terms of image quality, I could never own one now.

Scrolling with that wheel-thing! and having to press buttons first - nothing felt like it was in the right place and the body was really sharp-feeling and angular in the hand.

No, even though one of my D2x's may be 'burgered', I'll be sticking with it.

Though I must say that the new IS lenses are very, very nice indeed.
The Sun's Dan Charity was out as well and he's got a new 50-300 or something - really swish...

Matt said:
Cedric

I would only use a single focusing point for this type of shot, but expanded to
7 AF sensors in CF.17.
This gives you more control of the focused area, which in this case should be the head of the bird.

Good point Matt. I did actually think of that after the event. :doh:
Setting CF.20 to slow could be helpful, as the lens will be less likely to grab an area that momentarily moves behind the subject.
I did do that actually (Slow servo speed). Also I used the slow fps setting of 3fps. Even then I found I was getting good results with taking just a single shot and then finger off the button. I'm quite paranoid about how quick you could use up even the shutter life of this camera at 8+ fps, not to mention having to wade through loads of identical shots.

In fact, I came to the conclusion that unless you really need the fast sequence shots - the 1DS MK 2 would be just as capable for the action stuff despite it's lower frame rate. Mind you - so it should be for that many beer tokens! :shock:

Even with the weight of body and lens, this type of photography is very enjoyable.
Especially when you bag a corker.

Agreed. I'd like to do a lot more of it. :)

Arkady said:
I had a play with Cathal McNaughton's Canon D1 (he's a PA phot who came out to Afghanistan) and it took me ages - literally ages to figure it all out - maybe I've been using Nikons for too long, but even if it were significantly better in terms of image quality, I could never own one now.

Scrolling with that wheel-thing! and having to press buttons first - nothing felt like it was in the right place and the body was really sharp-feeling and angular in the hand.

I can see how you'd have problems, especially coming from a Nikon. The ID is a complex beast without a doubt and you really do need to sit down quietly and thoroughly RTFM to get to grips with it. I must admit though, that keeping the drive settings on the front of the camera and on a switch, as Nikon always have done, is more logical.

The trickiest part of the 1D is coming to grips with the group of buttons on the left of the top plate which are used variously either singly or in pairs to select various functions. I find it all pretty intuitive now though with a bit of practice. I'm just guessing, but I think the choice of the tiny multi- function buttons may have a lot to do with Canon's confidence in the weather resistance of these cameras.

Though I must say that the new IS lenses are very, very nice indeed.
The Sun's Dan Charity was out as well and he's got a new 50-300 or something - really swish...

You're not wavering are you Rob? :D

Great shots CT, the 1D really is a great piece of kit. :thumb:

Marcel said:
But then again she also taught me that if I swallowed an apple pip, an apple tree would grow in my tummy......
:laugh1: I was also told this one as a kid, the cr@p some people teach their kids eh?

CT said:
You're not wavering are you Rob? :D

Nah...
I love the way the D2x feels and we're getting the new-gen VR lenses from Nikon soon.
I just don't have the time or inclination to re-learn everything now. I do wish they'd introduce a seperate line of full-frame digis though...

BTW I heard a rumour from the Nikon Rep that the 80-400 is being withdrawn - too many complaints about the crappy VR function and Image softness.

Back