Adapting vintage macro lenses to aps-c

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering whether there were any implications with using old manual focus lenses with digital crop sensors. Does the crop mean you get more magnification? And does the adapter act as a extension tube? Are there any disadvantages? Finally, any recommendations for manual manual focus macro lenses? Looking for FF equiv. of 100-200mm. Thanks!

You can use any manual lens with an APS sensor but obviously it's only using the cropped part of the lens. You don't get magnification from the crop but a cropped field of view. You're not actually brought closer to the subject. There are many lenses that could be recommended in your chosen focal range and keep in mind that many AF lenses like the Nikon 60mm AF-D Micro Nikkor can be toggled between manual and AF at the flick of a switch. The Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Komine Macro is VERY sharp and will get you close to the 100mm FOV. The Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AIS is another. The 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor AF-D is tack sharp, the Asahi Takumar Pentax 100mm f/4 is another. What brand/system are you shooting?

You can use any manual lens with an APS sensor but obviously it's only using the cropped part of the lens. You don't get magnification from the crop but a cropped field of view. You're not actually brought closer to the subject. There are many lenses that could be recommended in your chosen focal range and keep in mind that many AF lenses like the Nikon 60mm AF-D Micro Nikkor can be toggled between manual and AF at the flick of a switch. The Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Komine Macro is VERY sharp and will get you close to the 100mm FOV. The Nikon 55mm f/2.8 AIS is another. The 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor AF-D is tack sharp, the Asahi Takumar Pentax 100mm f/4 is another. What brand/system are you shooting?
Thanks for your insight. I’ve got a Fujifilm X-H1. I’ve got a Pentax k adapter and lenses so anything on that mount would save me getting another adapter but they’re not expensive so I’d consider a different mount.

What is your budget?
If you have enough budget I suggest getting one of these (may be a used one)

What is your budget?
If you have enough budget I suggest getting one of these (may be a used one)

I haven't used that one Anand. How is it compared to the original 60mm?

Tamron SP90mm F/2.5 will give you a 1:2 crop factor and is a terrific lens to use. To get 1:1 you would need a teleconverter or extension tubes.

Thanks for your insight. I’ve got a Fujifilm X-H1. I’ve got a Pentax k adapter and lenses so anything on that mount would save me getting another adapter but they’re not expensive so I’d consider a different mount.

If I remember right the Vivitar 55mm can be found in Pentax-K and is normally cheaper in that mount as more people want the Nikon mount version.

I was wondering whether there were any implications with using old manual focus lenses with digital crop sensors.>............ Are there any disadvantages?
I previously used my legacy lenses on M43. I appreciate that you’re asking about crop sensors, so similar but not exactly the same.
For me, one of the biggest issues was FF “wide angle” lenses, just aren’t wide angle by more. I sort of overcome this by using a focal reducer - not totally successful but I enjoyed giving it a go.

Some film era macro lenses aren't 1:1 or only do 1:1 with the use of an extension tube but all that may not matter as many don't actually need 1:1. I have a film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 which is 1:1 but it may be a bit short for the op as it'll only give the equivalent of 75mm on APS-C.

I haven't used that one Anand. How is it compared to the original 60mm?

It's a native Fuji mount lens and APS-C only. it's smaller in size plus doesn't require an adapter, goes to 2x magnification, if OP were to buy a 2xTC in future be can get more than 4x magnification without buying any special lenses like canon MP-E. So overall it's a great macro option for Fuji x-mount.
In fact I'd go as far as saying this should be the first choice macro option for Fuji unless OP requires a longer lens then he can consider the Fuji 80mm macro lens which also supports 2xTC.
Fuji 60mm macro only does 0.5x magnification. But it does have AF. Considering OP is looking to adapt he clearly doesn't care much for AF and AF isn't useful for macro anyway.
As for image quality laowa macro optics are generally top notch and this one is no exception.

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Yes, agreed. My 60mm was a stellar performer although I wouldn't like to chase insects with it. :)
The laowa 60mm was one of the first lenses they made and it shows in some ways. The IQ was still brilliant though.
The loawa 65mm I think it's one if the latest macro lenses and shows they have come quite far in thier experience and quality since their first lens.

As for chasing insects I think it's not a problem if you got the technique and lighting sorted.

One of my favourite macro photographers uses a 28mm lens reverse mounted (http://thomasshahan.com/#photos) but you can't argue with his results :D

Yes a longer lens will help probably but I think technique and skill is really more important (both of which I lack as far as macro is concerned)

One of my favourite macro photographers uses a 28mm lens reverse mounted (http://thomasshahan.com/#photos) but you can't argue with his results :D

Yes a longer lens will help probably but I think technique and skill is really more important (both of which I lack as far as macro is concerned)

He's one of my favourites, too. His main lens has always been a Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 macro but I know Laowa got him to use some of their lenses a while back.

Back