Adding to lenses to my bag?

Name
jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.

I would like to ask you all for some much needed advice on lens purchases and other things.

Im off to Australia, NZ, Alakska, Canada and then US again. Taking over a year in all.

My current gear includes the following.

Canon 500D

EFS 18-55mm - f3.5-5.6 IS
EF 28-80mm - f3.5-5.6
EF 75-300mm - f4-5.6 III USM
EF 50mm - f1.8 II
Sigma 105mm - f2.8 macro

Giottos Tripod and ball head

I was thinking of investing in some fastrer lenses that would be more suited to shooting in lower light.

When I return from my travels I will invest in a FF body so maybe it might be worth investing in EF/L lenses as opposed to EF-S

My main photographic interest is people and there enviroment, wildlife and lanscapes. (pretty much everything except sports)

Could you give me some advice on what lenses you would belooking at given my current equipment.

Any filter suggestions or other things that might be useful will be much aprpeciated.

How much luggage you planning on carrying?

I'm currently touring Iceland and have found my trusty 18-200 Sigma doing sterling service. Until the sun disappeared today (knew I shouldn't buy suncream ;)) my grad filters and polarising filter respectively were in demand. Today I could have done with a long range sun synthesiser!

The tripod has been of great use but I can't say I've needed anything else...having said that my skills are sorely stretched as things are :LOL:

Im quite happy to discard some of the lenses in my bag atm as i realise they are the cheaper of all the canon lenses.

All of the lenses except the 50mm and the EF-S lens have migrated over from mine and my wifes film SLR's

Now I in no way want to give the impression that I am an experienced SLR user. I am not.

I have never used anything other than a lens protector for a filter and am only now starting to get to grips with all thefeatures on my DSLR - main advantage is obviously the instant review process compared to film.

I assume you want something light. Perhaps think about

24-105mm L IS USM (or 24-70mm or as a cheap option Tamron 28-75 / 17-50)
70-200mm f/4L USM
Tokina 12-24mm f/4

Keep 105 and 50, dispose of the other lenses.

You already have a decent tripod.

Filters - 77mm, then step down if you need. They really have to be multicoated.
UV / protector if you don't fancy cleaning the front element instead
Polarizer
ND (Hoya ND400x or B+W 10 stop)
Grads (Lee or formatt)

Finally remote release.

Thanks for your time Daugirdas

May I ask do you own the 24-70mm L and the 24-105mm L?

How useful are these on crop body cameras? obviously these will come into there own when I go FF.

Also what would you think of the 70-200 f2.8 over the f4?

Last edited:
Not sure about the FF 5d MK 2 but the EF-S lenses will not work on the FF 5D MK1

Back