Additional body..

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking into the possibility of an additional body to use for mainly studio work (currently) and weddings (next year). I'm toying with the idea of either a 7d or a 5d classic (5dii outside budget at this stage).

Currently have a 40D which I'm pleased with and have no intention of moving on. This would become my back-up.

I'm tempted to scratch the FF itch I have but can't help thinking the 7d is the more logical choice longer term. Lenses aren't an issue at this stage as I only have a couple and any I would use/need I would probably hire initially.

Anyone have or had a similar combo ? Any negative practical reason(s) NOT to have a crop and FF duo ?

Any thoughts welcome guys.

Cheers.

I think a lot depends on your lens/accessory selection ie will anything from 40d work with the 7d rather than the 5d? The 7 is newer so there will be some advances but the 5 was a highly accomplished piece of kit. Problem I see with the 5mk 1 is that it could at this point have been very heavily used.

As stated, I only have a couple of lenses so that's not an issue. Accessories are minimal.

Personally I would be going for the 7D but if you want full frame it has to be the 5d mk 1 or look at saving/credit for the mk2 which would offer a big step up with the video facility. There are some coming up s/h but lots of videotogs snapping them up

Ha,ha.. you'll be amazed how many people have said that to me :LOL:

I'm really torn between the two at the minute. Half of me really wants a classic and the other thinks the 7d is the sensible choice :bang:

Seriously though guys, this is in combo with my 40d to see me through the next few years....which would you recommend in tandem ? :shrug:

Because it's a newer generation and as I said I can hire any lenses I deem necessary. (y)

But what does the newer generation give you other than newness? Amazing AF is not going to help you in the studio, I wouldn't have thought. The screen is nicer, definately, that is one area where the 5D classic falls down. Other than that, the image quality of the 7D isn't as good as that of the 5D.

But what does the newer generation give you other than newness? Amazing AF is not going to help you in the studio, I wouldn't have thought.

I appreciate that mate but I'll (hopefully) be needing it next year for the odd wedding or two aswell. If it was purely for studio work i think I would have plumped for the 5D. Just wanted users opinions of both used for both (studio & weddings) (y)

Ha,ha.. you'll be amazed how many people have said that to me :LOL:

I'm really torn between the two at the minute. Half of me really wants a classic and the other thinks the 7d is the sensible choice :bang:

In that case you don't know what you want at all, as they are about as different as they come. I would wait for a while until you do know.

I was waiting for a comment like that :thumbsdown:

I do know what I want - either of the above :help:

I was simply after users experience of using BOTH the 40D and/or 7D/5D in combo. Is that so difficult :shrug:

I don't want the to know which is the better between the two, just which you would recommend in my situation ???

Last edited:
I have the 5D2 and 7D. I rarely photograph fast moving subjects. If I were to have one camera it would be the 5D2.

Thanks Andy but the 5D2 isn't an option at the moment, as much as I wish it were...

The choice is between the classic and 7d mate.

The choice is between the classic and 7d mate.
OK. What I'm saying is in the choice between crop or full frame, I'd choose full frame.

5D images knock the socks off the 40D and even the 7D. It may be older generation but it is a truly wonderful and competent camera, the amount still being used professionally speaks for the quality of the camera. In the studio the superior autofocus of the 7D won't matter, but the better IQ of the 5D would, and the ISO performance is enough for natural light shooting in 95% of the situations you would find yourself in..

Technically my 5D is within the range requiring the mirror fix, but it is still going strong to this day, and has never has the fix done. I do wonder if the mirror thing was a storm in a teacup.

I'd go for the 5D without question.

Back