Adive on processing???? Cliff+moss

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Im hoping for some help to make this shot come alive if possible. Seen similar images which blew me away contrasty, vivid colours and almost jumping off the page. Dunno if this shot is good enough, seems a little dark but if i brighten it up more areas blow out lol.

I really dont know what im doing to much when it comes to processing and improving an image but here i had a blown out section on the original to the left my processing was

Reduce the exposure in raw file, so i recovered some detail and over laid this darker image over the top of the original, erased around the blown areas (middle left area + rear edge of central rock) to leave the darker highlights covering the blown ones. Then i used the burn tool on the greens to help them stand out a bit more, finished off using auto levels which brightened it up a little.

Is this along the right track:thinking:

Here is the original taken from the raw

clifforg.jpg

and the finished version i came up with

cliff.jpg

Cheers for any help folks, and feel free to play about with them

Hello

Im hoping for some help to make this shot come alive if possible. Seen similar images which blew me away contrasty, vivid colours and almost jumping off the page. Dunno if this shot is good enough, seems a little dark but if i brighten it up more areas blow out lol.

I really dont know what im doing to much when it comes to processing and improving an image but here i had a blown out section on the original to the left my processing was

Reduce the exposure in raw file, so i recovered some detail and over laid this darker image over the top of the original, erased around the blown areas (middle left area + rear edge of central rock) to leave the darker highlights covering the blown ones. Then i used the burn tool on the greens to help them stand out a bit more, finished off using auto levels which brightened it up a little.

Is this along the right track:thinking:

Here is the original taken from the raw

clifforg.jpg

and the finished version i came up with

cliff.jpg

Cheers for any help folks, and feel free to play about with them

Think i actually prefer it before you touched it lool, has a nice earty quality to it xxx some images need to be left! xxx

TBH I think I prefer the original as it has better contrast and colour, I think all I would have done is straighted up the lines in the rocks at the back maybe.

Sorry but the scene has no real good colours in it and it is an uninteresting place. You also shot mid day and the colours are mainly browns and with a tiny bit of green. Basically you are on to a loser here. Try finding something else to photograph and at a better time of day :)

Sorry to join the band wagon but the original has more detail and texture to it but not much in the image to hold my attention. JMO :)

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

It was a shot i grabbed while out fishing on holiday, looked good in my head, not quite the same on the camera though lol.
Was going through the pics and have to agree there was something about it didnt grab me which is why i was hoping some sort of processing may have improved it.

Will have to get out and try some more of this landscape/scenery stuff, cant seem to get to grips with it at all, Lots to learn!

Cheers

Last edited:
i played around with the original:
used lab colour, local contrast and selective saturation.

i did it a little OTT but reducing the lab sat and local contrast would give a slightly better finish.

clifforg.jpg

Back