Adobe DNG converter

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Being as CS2 doesn't support the camera NEF files from the D60, I downloaded adobe DNG converter which should work with the D60 raw files.

Theres definately NEF files in a folder on my desk top, but when I select the folder as the source, it still comes up with an error 'The source folder doesn't contain any supported camera raw files'. This is version 3, which I downloaded last night from the adobe site.

Any tips for getting it working, or an alternative, because I don't fancy paying a fortune for a new editor when I already have CS2 :shake:

Help please :)

Well I just downloaded Rawhide, a free download linked from the sticky post about converters etc.

It works with the D60, even though the camera isn't listed as being supported. The resulting TIF files can then be opened in CS2. The only problem is the size of the TIF file that is produced... A 9.5MB NEF file became 58.3MB as a TIF and three text documents!

First impressions are prety good as it appears easy enough to open a single photo and carry out basic adjstments to ballance and levels. It was easy to download and works with vista after a reboot.

I'm sure it does other stuff, but I'm happy for now :D

Edit.
The thumbnail viewer is a nice feature. Selecting a folder to view, gives thumbnails with the time stamp data, ISO, f stop ect. Selecting a pic, opens it for editing in rawhide.

Download the latest version of DNG converter which is 5.2 and see if that works

Download the latest version of DNG converter which is 5.2 and see if that works

Thanks Chappers. I hate tha adobe website as it's always difficult to find free or older stuff because all links lead to the new $600+ programs.

DNG converter is now called Camera Raw and DNG converter 5.2. Found here DNG 5.2

Downloading now, so will update on the success out of the box, or if I need the codec as suggested.

Oh joy. I installed Camera raw 5.2. Try to open a NEF file, only to get an error message that it isn't compatable with this version of photoshop (CS2).

Installed the Nikon codec and now I can view thumbnails in windows explorer and open them with windows photogalery. However the Rawhide thumbnail utility has now stopped working :bang: It's not all bad. At least I can view a thumbnail, open and adjust it, then save for later PP in CS2.

:bonk:

No you need the latest camera raw for CS2 (it's 3. something or other, only the 3's work in CS2) and DNG 5.2, the earlier dng converters don't open the newer cameras raws. Wayne

O'Boy, O'Boy . . . 'Singlespeed', how I sympathise, I am having similar problems with 'Elements', see my posts; 'Need advise on RAW' and 'Ev5 takes it for me'. I think I have it sorted now?

I found that my evaluation copy of 'Nikon NX' supplied with my D80, over ruled or tried to over rule anything I attempted that had anything to do with pictures!!! Got all sorts of messages in Adobe mode, the plugins and converters just were not working properly. Took a while for the penny to drop, I have a personal problem with dyslexia, so I was blaming my own ineptitude :bang:

However, I have removed NX in its entirity including cashe references etc, and bingo, Elements and associated plugins started to make sence, the computer runs faster, I'm a happy bunny:LOL:

Even so, I fancy a copy of 'Light room' that realy does look the business, dont fancy the £200-£300 price tag though???:bonk:

CJS

No you need the latest camera raw for CS2 (it's 3. something or other, only the 3's work in CS2) and DNG 5.2, the earlier dng converters don't open the newer cameras raws. Wayne

I started with version 3 of DNG viewer, and i've been going round in circles since. laptop is now in getting closer to being chucked across the room as it has slowed down to a crawl.

I've just discovered that if I open a TIFF file in CS2, theres no option to save as a jpeg. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I would have thought the option of jpeg would have been there! Time to remove the Nikon plugin and CS2, then try a fresh install of CS2 or something else :(

Thanks for the sympathy CJS. I saw your thread and had that sinking feeling :crying:

I started with version 3 of DNG viewer, and i've been going round in circles since. laptop is now in getting closer to being chucked across the room as it has slowed down to a crawl.

I've just discovered that if I open a TIFF file in CS2, theres no option to save as a jpeg. I'm not sure if this is normal, but I would have thought the option of jpeg would have been there! Time to remove the Nikon plugin and CS2, then try a fresh install of CS2 or something else :(

Thanks for the sympathy CJS. I saw your thread and had that sinking feeling :crying:

No option to save as a JPEG!!! exactly one of the problems I had. Get rid of the Nikon programs, thats sorted me;) and yes I reinstalled, I also ran a computer scan, got rid of all the little bits and pices, whats the name of those signatures programs l leave behind?? anything I had not used for months that went, provided I had the disk to reinstall. Dontforget to put a restor point in!

CJS

No option to save as a JPEG!!! exactly one of the problems I had. Get rid of the Nikon programs, thats sorted me;) and yes I reinstalled, I also ran a computer scan, got rid of all the little bits and pices, whats the name of those signatures programs l leave behind?? anything I had not used for months that went, provided I had the disk to reinstall. Dontforget to put a restor point in!

CJS

Wait, before you dump your nikon software open a tiff in photoshop, go to image/mode and see if it's 16 bit or 8 bit, if it's 16 thats why it wont save as a jpeg (jpeg only supports 8 bit) change it to 8 bit, then see if you have the jpeg option. Wayne

Wait, before you dump your nikon software open a tiff in photoshop, go to image/mode and see if it's 16 bit or 8 bit, if it's 16 thats why it wont save as a jpeg (jpeg only supports 8 bit) change it to 8 bit, then see if you have the jpeg option. Wayne

Top man. The Tiff files produced by rawhide were indeed 16 bit. Ticked the 8 bit option and save as JPEG became avaliable :woot:

I was starting to get anoyed with this. Many thanks for a simple fix.

Neil :)

Top man. The Tiff files produced by rawhide were indeed 16 bit. Ticked the 8 bit option and save as JPEG became avaliable :woot:

I was starting to get anoyed with this. Many thanks for a simple fix.

Neil :)

Hay-Ho, live and learn. Thanks Swanseamale, from CJS, that may have something to do with my frustrations as well . . . (y)

CJS

Yes, rawhide produces 16 bit tiffs by default. It will also produce JPEGs (Under the menus at File->Preferences->Jpeg File Preferences).
Also, I sat down today and added the support for the 50D and the 5D MKII... Some from here were asking for these cameras to be supported.
Cheers!
Frank

Back