Adobe Elements 2022 - Not opening Cannon RAW files

Name
Dougie
Edit My Images
Yes
I have my new Canon set to Canon raw instead of just RAW. I have tried to open them but it says it is the wrong type of document.
I have down loaded the latest versions of the Camera RAW plug in's and still get the same.
Does this mean I cannot use Canon RAW files, and will have to use normal RAW files instead?

I have my new Canon set to Canon raw instead of just RAW. I have tried to open them but it says it is the wrong type of document.
I have down loaded the latest versions of the Camera RAW plug in's and still get the same.
Does this mean I cannot use Canon RAW files, and will have to use normal RAW files instead?
I have no idea what the difference between "Canon raw" and "raw" might be but perhaps say what body you are talking about and what you think the benefits of your change of choice might be,?

Last edited:
This may help?
Ah! so C-raw equates to Compressed raw.

A proprietary format that Adobe Camera Raw does not recognise and not only that C-raw is lossy......akin to jpeg.

IMO memory cards are relatively cheap, so if the only aim is to save memory card space or indeed hard drive space.....then fine but if it is a limited file format that = limitations on your post processing, just buy more memory/storage

Last edited:
Sorry, yes, I meant C-raw!
Yes, it was just to save on file size really, so back to just raw, if Elements 2022 supports it!

So, I have now changed the camera setting to RAW and not C-RAW.
Have just taken a few shots, weht to open one and I have the same problem!
The RAW files from my 70D opened fine, surely a Canon Raw file is the same regardless of camera.
Why do Adobe make it so difficult when you change cameras? It's hardly an ancient copy of Elements!
Any help appreciated!

As far as I understand it, each version or model of a camera sensor produces a different RAW file :(

Am I doing something wrong with the latest raw plug in?
I download the file, all 860mbs of it. Open when finished, ok it windows for Adobe to make changes, click on install, watch all the files get loaded until the green install line reaches the end. It nows says it is installed, is there anything else I need to do afterwards? I presumed it automatically updated Elements?

Am I doing something wrong with the latest raw plug in?
I download the file, all 860mbs of it. Open when finished, ok it windows for Adobe to make changes, click on install, watch all the files get loaded until the green install line reaches the end. It nows says it is installed, is there anything else I need to do afterwards? I presumed it automatically updated Elements?
As I mentioned above......

Adobe Camera Raw will catch with all raw format files.

However, C-raw is an outlier......a Canon proprietory compressed variant of their own raw files. That it seems, based on your experiences, Adobe have yet to/will not from a raw convertor for!

Having said that does Canon DPP software open C-raw......I would have thought so.

Perhaps address you question to Adobe support and see what their official position is???

I understiand about the c-raw images, but I find it frustrating now I have gone back to normal raw files not being able to open them.

Hmmm! More questions for some clarity about what you are saying. Sorry if I misunderstood but your descriptions are not clear.

When you first tried raw......on what body? Were they seen by Adobe Photoshop elements?

On the same body, was that the first time you tried C-raw and found they were unreadable?

Is it that the same body that now the raw is unreadable or another body? If another body did ACR ever show you the raw files?

Last edited:
I am guessng (as others before have said), that your camera is too new to be supported by Elements 2022. This might explain why your 70D images are OK?.

You have a few options - some are - upgrade to latest version of Elements, jump ship to Affinity, or convert your files to a universal (Adobe!!) DNG using the free Adobe Digital Negative Converter. Any version of Elements "should" be able to read DNG files, which are still RAW files. I have had to resort to this on occasion, but the extra step is annoying.

Hope that helps.

@dougan

As @Whitefiver says and expand on it ....

Even if the file extension e.g. .CR2 or .CR3.....if it is a new body it takes time for Adobe to update ACR but they always (or used to) include a "read me" stating newer bodies covered.

In summary, you cannot assume a body is covered by ACR based on file extension alone! The body itself must be explicitly listed.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated!
I will contact Adobe and see what they say.

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated!
I will contact Adobe and see what they say.
Would you care to say which body/ies that you have?

Or indeed answer the questions arising?

I have a Canon 70D and a recently purchased R7. I purchased Elements 2022 last year and the 70D raw files opened with no additional plug in's.
The C-raw files were from the R7, but I have changed this to normal raw files. So the C-raw files are not applicable anymore.

Ok

Here is the Adobe information page

The Canon EOS R7 was supported from ACR version 14.4

So subject to the ACR version you have installed being 14.4 or higher you should be okay.

HTH

Edit
I found this page where v14.4 came out in June 2022

But another page

Seems to infer that for Elements 2022 it's last ACR update was Feb 2022 and v14.1

Hopefully you can get a definitive answer from Adobe .........worse case scenario is that you will to update to Elements 2023 ?

Last edited:
Many thanks for your help on this!
When I first got the 70D, I had to upgrade to the latest version of Elements, which was several years old anyway, so I didn't mind so much.
As I only purchased this version of Elements last year, I am not too happy at having to upgrade to the 2023 version, hopefully that won't be the case though.
The ACR version I downloaded was 15,4, which was the latest version.

Many thanks for your help on this!
When I first got the 70D, I had to upgrade to the latest version of Elements, which was several years old anyway, so I didn't mind so much.
As I only purchased this version of Elements last year, I am not too happy at having to upgrade to the 2023 version, hopefully that won't be the case though.
The ACR version I downloaded was 15,4, which was the latest version.
AFAIK if you have any version of ACR from 14.4 & above, your R7 raw files should be readable (based on the list on the page I linked to).

Are you absolutely sure you are not still set to C-raw?

PS have you tried Canon DPP software to view the raw files ?

Looking at the Adobe site, Elements 2022 ships with ACR 13.3, and can work with ACR up to 14.1.
Why Elements has a limit on ACR version I don't know, but that's what the page states.
You need Elements 2023, which ships with (and is limited to) 14.4

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

Much is made of the advantages of being able to purchase software outright (actually it's purchasing a licence to use the software) rather than the subscription model, but the latter does have the advantage that you always have the latest version, so don't get this 'upgrade to allow my new camera files to work' issue.
The upgrade appears to be £70.91, which is not the greatest of discounts over the £86.56 purchase price (but still a small price compared to the cost of a new R7, if you want to consider it in overall cost terms).

Looking at the Adobe site, Elements 2022 ships with ACR 13.3, and can work with ACR up to 14.1.
Why Elements has a limit on ACR version I don't know, but that's what the page states.
You need Elements 2023, which ships with (and is limited to) 14.4

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-compatible-applications.html

Much is made of the advantages of being able to purchase software outright (actually it's purchasing a licence to use the software) rather than the subscription model, but the latter does have the advantage that you always have the latest version, so don't get this 'upgrade to allow my new camera files to work' issue.
The upgrade appears to be £70.91, which is not the greatest of discounts over the £86.56 purchase price (but still a small price compared to the cost of a new R7, if you want to consider it in overall cost terms).
Well found and echoes what I think I found mentioned.

But how does that tally with @dougan saying he installed ACR v15.4 ?

Adobe as usual has its users over the proverbial barrel when it comes to new camera bodies!

Perhaps ACR v15.4 is not compatible with Elements 2022?
Looks like Elements 2023 here I come!
Is there any advantage in buying the full version over the upgrade, apart from saving £16?

Well found and echoes what I think I found mentioned.

But how does that tally with @dougan saying he installed ACR v15.4 ?

Adobe as usual has its users over the proverbial barrel when it comes to new camera bodies!
I don't know how ACR interacts with Elements - personally I switched to the LR / Photoshop bundle when I last needed to upgrade (several years ago), as I figured that when I compared the subscription cost of the bundle to the cost of LR and upgrading as each new version came out (every 12-18 months), I was paying a bit more, but always had the latest software and also got Photoshop (which was a LOT more expensive to buy) for 'free'.
Now I buy the bundle via Amazon sales, which drops the cost to ~£80/year, which would be very similar to what I would have spent on LR alone.

As for Adobe having it's users 'over a barrel' - well, that's true of all the photography software vendors - the companies need to spend time / effort to integrate support for the new camera file formats into their software - what amazes me is that Adobe still provide the DNG converter for free, which gives anyone with an old version an option for continuing to use it without paying to upgrade - quite the opposite of the greedy company they are often portrayed as.

I don't know how ACR interacts with Elements - personally I switched to the LR / Photoshop bundle when I last needed to upgrade (several years ago), as I figured that when I compared the subscription cost of the bundle to the cost of LR and upgrading as each new version came out (every 12-18 months), I was paying a bit more, but always had the latest software and also got Photoshop (which was a LOT more expensive to buy) for 'free'.
Now I buy the bundle via Amazon sales, which drops the cost to ~£80/year, which would be very similar to what I would have spent on LR alone.

As for Adobe having it's users 'over a barrel' - well, that's true of all the photography software vendors - the companies need to spend time / effort to integrate support for the new camera file formats into their software - what amazes me is that Adobe still provide the DNG converter for free, which gives anyone with an old version an option for continuing to use it without paying to upgrade - quite the opposite of the greedy company they are often portrayed as.
Yes, my "over a barrel" reference was a tad tongue in cheek.

I use DxO PL for my primary editor and have updated to gain raw handling on newer bodies, when required.

FWIW I dislike subscription model software......with Adobe (Photoshop & LR) they in effect made an enduring commitment to perpetual license and subscription but then ceased it at relatively short notice.

Just checked, I purchased the full version of Elements 2022 in February 2022 direct from Amazon for £68. The 2023 version is now £86.56 a near 30% rise, good old Adobe!

Just checked, I purchased the full version of Elements 2022 in February 2022 direct from Amazon for £68. The 2023 version is now £86.56 a near 30% rise, good old Adobe!
Amazon do discount Adobe software from time to time (It's how I pay for my LR subscriptions, purchase a 1yr bundle when they're discounted), so it may be that the £68 was not the 'full' price at the time.

On Adobe site....

Upgrade to 2023 is £70.91

I have just upgraded to Elements 2023, after a RAW plug in update, I am pleased to report I can now open the R7 RAW files.

One more question, can I now delete Elements 2022 to free up a bit of space.

Back