Adobe Lightroom 5 Beta

Having used some god awful beta test software, I strongly suggest creating backups before letting it anywhere near your images ;)

I never had any problems with Lightroom 4 Beta.

You can always have it running alongside and older version.

I just downloaded this to try it. Not letting it near my existing catalog so only imported a few photos.

The only change that has made me think "WOW!" is finally the healing/clone brush is not longer just a circle. This will save me lots of time, effort and disk space as I used to hate having to go into PS just to make a very minor adjustment which the basic brush in LR3/4 couldn't handle.

Really liking the new healing / clone brush. Also think the radial filter is a very welcome addition.

Any improvement on cpu usage?

Thanks

I have never found LR4 to be a cpu hog, as some suggest. I do have a pretty fast laptop though.

I think I'll wait for the full release before deciding to upgrade, or not.

I have never found LR4 to be a cpu hog, as some suggest. I do have a pretty fast laptop though.

I think I'll wait for the full release before deciding to upgrade, or not.

Me either, but it does eat all my RAM up PQD. But I'll be upgrading to 16GB come pay day which should fix that good and proper.

finding the mask brush tempremental, tick show mask so i can see where i'm painting in and it doesnt do it.
the new clone works better

apart from that not seing much to make me want to upgrade

The attraction for me is the off-line image editing, and less need to go in to PSCS6 just to remove a few objects.
Not a compelling reason to upgrade but i dont see any reason not to if the price is similar to the current LR4 price. A bit of money to make life easier seems like a good return to me.
Looking back at Adobe's track record they do tend to introduce new features right at the last min (even later with LR4.2), i wonder if we will see the new Camera shake filter that they are (again) talking about for next months Max Adobe.

Ive gone over to LR5 already. Its faster than LR4 and seems stable enough. I love the new features.
Of course ill keep LR4 as well, at least until we can upgrade the catalogues.

Can you elaborate on that Dave? My machine's speed took a nose-dive with LR4 (as it did for many others, but it didn't seem to effect everyone for some strange reason) but an improvement there would be very welcome indeed. Thanks.

As I recall, it's noise reduction, clarity and vibrance, and cloning that are the real speed killers.

Edit: just read a post on DPR claiming LR5 is 5x faster than LR4 in a side by side comparison :eek: Wouldn't be the first time someone has posted total bllx on DPR, but it's a good sign!

Last edited:
When i first go tLR4 i had to upgrade my PC for it to be usable. All other programes seemed ok.
when i got the enw hardware it seems much better, but i still find it a bit sluggish going between different modules, and evne switching between diffeenrt image in the Develope module.

Its usable though and im used to it. The funny thing is my work Pc, that has a lower spec seems quicker to skip though images. Most of the slowdowns do seem to be to do with preview rendering. i read about keeping NR and the clarity slider off until the last min but i never found them to be an issue. This PC at work (3 actually and all seem slightly faster with LR, slower with everything else, as to be expected) only have 4GB ram (W7 Pro 64), as did mine at home. I upgraded to 8GB but that made no difference at all.
I loaded all this months raw files in to LR5 so it more or less mirrored LR4 and there is definitely a difference. I wouldn't say its huge, or if its because ive only got about 200 images in it so far, but it seems faster to get around.

There are something that dont work properly yet, but so far ive just found these to be minor niggles.

When i first go tLR4 i had to upgrade my PC for it to be usable. All other programes seemed ok.
when i got the enw hardware it seems much better, but i still find it a bit sluggish going between different modules, and evne switching between diffeenrt image in the Develope module.

Its usable though and im used to it. The funny thing is my work Pc, that has a lower spec seems quicker to skip though images. Most of the slowdowns do seem to be to do with preview rendering. i read about keeping NR and the clarity slider off until the last min but i never found them to be an issue. This PC at work (3 actually and all seem slightly faster with LR, slower with everything else, as to be expected) only have 4GB ram (W7 Pro 64), as did mine at home. I upgraded to 8GB but that made no difference at all.
I loaded all this months raw files in to LR5 so it more or less mirrored LR4 and there is definitely a difference. I wouldn't say its huge, or if its because ive only got about 200 images in it so far, but it seems faster to get around.

There are something that dont work properly yet, but so far ive just found these to be minor niggles.

Cheers Dave, seems like there is a handy speed improvement of some sort at least then :) Guess I'll be heading for an upgrade, but I'll wait for the real thing. Thanks.

dave_bass5 said:

Thanks, for the update. I have 8gb ram on a core 2 duo pc and can hear the cpu when I start adjusting the photos in lr4, this was not an issue with lr3.

LR4 eats my 4GB Ram (W7/x64). Adobe still has a reputation for lardy code in my house :thumbsdown: I'm hoping LR5 is a quantum leap in performance on the same hardware.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the speed increase is huge, and for those that dont notice LR4 being sluggish it might not even be noticeable, but it just feels like LR3 again, with the added improvements of couse.
A low spec PC will still struggle IMO, not least because of the huge files we now have from our cameras. One interesting side effect of using the offline method might be the smaller file size might speed things up.
I read on another foum (might have been on the LR site) that a 3.5GB catalouge using the original files was reduce to a 430MB catalogue that could still be used for editing. This might be a big deal for those on lower spec computers.

Upgrading my PC was a lot cheaper than upgrading photography kit. Mine runs LR4 pretty speedily, things like an SSD and 16Gb of RAM help.

I know what you mean.
I spent £350 on upgrading mine and that took it from 15-30 secs wait for almost any action in LR4 to no slider lag at all.
I can't say I find the SSD helps once the program is running but it certainly opens quickly. I've been thinking of getting another 8GB, to take it to 16GB but everything I've read indicates it won't make a huge difference to anything.

Just installed the beta and 1 REALLY nice thing they could have done: changed the logo. I can't tell the difference between the 4 & 5 without having to read the text now.

Back