ADSL Gigabit router / Modem??

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there such a thing?

I'm looking to replace my Netgear DG834 with something a little faster to help with the NAS duties and am looking for a single box solution - does it exist.

Funnily enough I was chatting to one of my contacts at Netgear about this a few months ago and there is a reason behind this - 99% of wireless router users do not use the wired LAN. Add to that the fact that even the fastest wireless chipset is around 250Mb/s and there is no economic sense in producing a Gb wireless router... yet. Simple market economics in action.

Carl

I ended up just running a Gig-E switch off the router for Gig-E devices (main PC and NAS)

So do I. Gigabit switches are fairly cheap now, OK you need another mains socket but the combination may turn out to be cheaper than a one box solution.

So do I. Gigabit switches are fairly cheap now, OK you need another mains socket but the combination may turn out to be cheaper than a one box solution.

True, but i'd be looking to upgrade my wireless router to support 'N' as there are three apples in the house, and transferrring large files is a pain across 'G' :)

Check out Belkin and Netgear, Both do a "N" modem router and both units have Gigabit ethernet connections.

Apple do a router which is "N" compatible, and has Gigabit ethernet, but it needs to be conected to a modem in the first place.

How many gigabyte enabled ports do you need?

I use a dreytek which is rock solid and feature full, but only has one gigabyte port which suits my purposes. I put my heavy server (file/media server) on that and then other machines (xbox/media centre extenders) on the 100mbs which is more than ample for these boxes...

James

That would probably be the same for me at the moment, but i'm thinking for the full 5 outs just in case i hang another NAS off it at some point ;)

I wanted the full 5 really.. but when I looked into the avaliable routers they where either very unstable, pulled a lot more power than 2 standalones or suffered from over heating.

If you find a decent one, will you post back, my dad was looking for one. I was going to get him the same as mine.

Funnily enough I was chatting to one of my contacts at Netgear about this a few months ago and there is a reason behind this - 99% of wireless router users do not use the wired LAN. Add to that the fact that even the fastest wireless chipset is around 250Mb/s and there is no economic sense in producing a Gb wireless router... yet. Simple market economics in action.

Carl

...99%? you made that figure up right? :D

I've always used both, as have many of the people I've come across.

found one last night - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/142576

Just need to do some investigations on it now :)

I was looking for the same thing and that Belkin was the only one I could find. Excellent piece of kit - the guest mode for visitors is especially nice and are the speed dials :)

If you get one, there is a known issue in some connections where you get drop outs every couple of mins - just for a few seconds. There is a firmware patch for this, but in June when I downloaded it, it was only a beta and is not advertised or linked off the main Belkin site.

I ended up with the Belkin one i linked to.

It has the latest firmware on it, and it seems to be A-OK (y)

Looks good, and performs well, with good speedy transfers from the NAS (still took it 13hours to transfer all the stuff over to the nas box though :eek: - lots of stuff ;) )

Back