advanced compact or compact system?

petebuster1

Suspended / Banned
Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I've decided i need a take everywhere camera i've been looking at the canon s100,olympus pm1,lumix gf3 and a few others..
I find this far harder to decide on than it ever was deciding on my 60d,it has to be compact and fast with good image quality around the £300 markish,some of the csc's dont seen so compact wasn't that their point?:LOL:
anyone got any of the above or any suggestions much appreciated.
My 1000hs has great image quality but a bit too sluggish

I have an olympus e-pl3 (basically an e-pm1 with a mode dial and a tilting lcd) and a lumix gf3. Both are only 'compact' in the sense that with the 14mm or 20mm pancake lens you can fit them in a large (winter) jacket pocket (just) but the weight and bulge is still noticeable vs a small compact which you can literally stick in a shirt pocket. The image quality of the m43 cameras is good, but the gf3 and e-pm1 both have the older 12mp sensor which is fine in good light but not so good once you go over ISO 800.

yes thanks i've been looking at the pl3 and panny gf5 and both would suit my needs well,its just the lenses as a pancake would not suit when out and about on many occasions but then suppose could carry the other lens in another pocket or get an advanced compact if theirs one as quick in focusing ???:thinking:

Last edited:
I think the AF on the Sony RX100 compact is supposed to be pretty fast? I have not used one though so cannot compare it with the m43 cameras. The Panasonic GX1 and G3 both have the newer 16mp sensor and are pretty cheap right now, but both are a bit bigger than the GF3/EPM1 (G3 quite a lot bigger due to the evf).

Panasonic LX7 is pretty decent (I have the LX5)
Fujji X10

I just bit the bullet and ordered an RX100 on the basis of its sensor size and its physical compactness

Back