Advanced Micro Adjustment with 5DII

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Can the 5DII perform different micro adjustment at different focal lengths?
My 24-105 nails focus in the 24-70 range, but progressively back-focusses from that point on with the worst result at 105.

The story is that I grabbed a few shots to check out my replacement 5DII, and in one of the test shots I noticed it had back focussed badly.

Since then I've been out and done a bunch of tests using a biscuit tin on edge as focus target about 20ft away on tarmac.
I used both a 5DII and 60D, results were identical from both bodies, but 60D won't micro focus so I'm only asking about the 5DII.
As well as the 24-105 I also tested a 70-200 f4 IS L; focus was spot on at all focal lengths. It is only the 24-105 at long focal lengths that has a problem.

A few years ago this 24-105 was calibrated by Elstree.
It was a soft copy but I never really noticed until I went full frame which made the problem far more noticeable. I've been very happy with it since then, but have noticed that 105mm has never been as sharp as other focal length; but slrgear tests show this too, so I never looked further.
Obviously I need to test some other 24-105s to see if they all do it, but assuming it is just my lens then perhaps it needs a return visit to Elsetree?

Mate of mine has just created this http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/index.html (automated lens calibration s/w for Canons). It looks pretty clever.

If it worked for Nikons I would have been betaing it for him.

That's pretty neat (y)
It won't help me with my current trouble as I can demonstrate the camera is nailing focus everywhere except the long end of the 24-105.

But it's perfect for anyone suspecting their lens is performing less that optimally who don't want to get into the technical side of proving that is the case, or fixing it.

It's also ideal for people who don't have the skills or time to calibrate lenses themselves.

I've seen people completely mess focussing up thinking they needed to calibrate kit :)

Also I have all the kit and know roughly what I'm doing but generally can't be bothered to tweak stuff for half an hour. I hope he hurries up and creates a Nikon version.

Last edited:
It's also ideal for people who don't have the skills or time to calibrate lenses themselves.

I've seen people completely mess focussing up thinking they needed to calibrate kit :)

Also I have all the kit and know roughly what I'm doing but generally can't be bothered to tweak stuff for half an hour. I hope he hurries up and creates a Nikon version.

I'm getting there! :) I downloaded the Nikon SDKs today to have a look... all I need now is a camera to try it out with!

I'm concentrating on getting the public release out first, but I'd like to think I'll be supporting Nikon by end of January 2012.

Rich

Back