Advantages of 40D vs 30D?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,
I'm wanting to get a second camera body and have decided to either get a new 40D (£619 + 100 cashback = warehouse express) or just get another 30D body off ebay for around £350 ish.

What are the main advantages of a 40D over a 30D?

I currently use a 30D so I was wondering if you think I would be better off paying the extra for the 40D, on the assumption that its a bit of a gamble getting a secondhand camera.
Any advice would be appreciated,
Cheers, Mark.

2MP Extra
mediocre dust removal system
3" screen (But same number of pixels)
1/2 stop better at high ISO's
Better menu system (IMO)
ISO displayed in the viewfinder (very worthwile - allows you to change ISO without removing your eye from the viewfinder)

but mostly the fact that it is new and gets 12 mths g'tee, and that 'box-fresh-smell' :D

seriously though, the 40d is a fantastic bit of kit and a worthy upgrade to the 30d

Chris

Don't forget the faster fps and improved AF as well. I've got both and the 40D really is better all round (30D is still great though).

I've found the anti-dust on the 40D works pretty well. I use a rocket blower once a week and combined with the shake system I've not need to do a proper clean of the sensor in 5 months of owning the 40D. The 30D sensor gets brushed every fortnight.

2MP Extra
mediocre dust removal system
1/2 stop better at high ISO's

Can't comment on 30D but I think the sensor is the same as the 20D. If it is, then I reckon the high ISO performance is better than 1/2 stop. In fact, I reckon the 40D is better than my 1D Mk II at 800+ ISO. I have access to one as the other half has one and I've thought about trading the 1D for a 40D before now. I'm really impressed with it.

Also, Sue's 40D has been used almost universally outdoors and she hasn't had any dust problems, unlike her 20D or my 1D. So, I think it is beyond mediocre...

Also, Sue's 40D has been used almost universally outdoors and she hasn't had any dust problems, unlike her 20D or my 1D. So, I think it is beyond mediocre...

True, but compared to the dust removal system on the Olympus range :shrug:

I'd have to say go for the 40D for all the reasons above, also the rate at which they're bringing out new models now in the XXD range means that for most people every other new model at round 3 year intervals is usually a worthwhile upgrade.

I wouldn't necessarily replace a 30D with a 40D, but getting an additional camera it makes sense to get the 40D, so you don't have to replace two cameras to keep up with the game when the time comes.

The improvements to the 40D are significant and your 30D will take a back seat if you get one. ;)

somethings slightly different, eg the the adjustment dials for iso / white balance swapped between the 30D and 40D so takes a bit of getting used to. If you're going to use two bodies simulataneously, eg wedding with a short zoom on one and a longer zoom on the other I'd recommend considering another 30D, but if you want a backup body as a precaution, then a 40D and relegate the 30D as backup.

True, but compared to the dust removal system on the Olympus range :shrug:

Yes but the debate wasn't about whether to go Olympus or not. I know you try to plug them all the time, but my point is that in the field the 40D dust system is good enough...

Good point on the reversal of dials. That does cause some cursing next to me when we are both shooting the same thing!

Yes but the debate wasn't about whether to go Olympus or not. I know you try to plug them all the time, but my point is that in the field the 40D dust system is good enough...

Good point on the reversal of dials. That does cause some cursing next to me when we are both shooting the same thing!

I never suggested going Olympus at any point, i pointed out the addition of a dust removal system to the 40D, over the 30D, and made the comment that it is mediocre. This is made from experience as i had a 40d and now have a E-3. In my experience,in the field the 40d dust removal solution was not good enough for me (YMMV). :shrug:

I do not try to 'plug Olympus all the time' - i dont care what camera people use, but i believe that there is more than Canon and Nikon on the market and it would be wrong to give 'blinkered' answers and opinions to questions raised on the forums.

:)

Chris

Isn't there a menu option that you can reverse the dials?

Thanks for all the advice so far. I think I will go for the 40D, it seems to get good praise and with the £100 cash back seems a bargain at just over £500.
Cheers, Mark.

Thanks for all the advice so far. I think I will go for the 40D, it seems to get good praise and with the £100 cash back seems a bargain at just over £500.
Cheers, Mark.

Get it from Jessops and get 3% back through Quidco, and you can collect at store.

Dont forget the 40D also has a 14bit processor, the 30Ds is only 8bit, (if im right).
Dean:)

personally I never upgraded from the 20D to the 30D as I did not see a big improvement, bigger screen etc stupid wee things like that don't really intrest me. The 40D how ever IMO is a big jump over the two cameras with the better quality at higher isos, bigger files, better AF and more handy wee features that are worth it (like the iso in the viewfinder, the saved settings on the wheel, 14bit files) thats what I look for.

I use 30D as second body to my 40D, both run well together, use 40D when I think it matters more, dont know why, but at least the transition is easy to work with both round your neck and not having to remeber different function/buttons too much. Next step has to be a 1?

Just recieved my 40D and very happy with it so far, particularly the faster fps. I'm going to spend the rest of the day going through the manual, although its not that different to the 30D.
Thanks again for the advice, Mark.(y)

Enjoy, and welcome to the club(y)
Dino:)

You aint done nuttin wrong there! (y)

How does the 40D compare physically to the 20D, I have a D200 and a 20D, i've just bought a sigma 120-300 f2.8 but it's a canon fit so i'm considering selling the D200 and buying a 40D

the reason I ask is I find the feel of the D200 better, it's slightly bigger that the 20D, is the 40D bigger

The 40D is slightly bigger. The problem with the 20D was insufficient room between the grip and the lens mount for your fingers. They solved that issue with the 30D and they've carried it over to the 40D - it feels just fine.

The 40D is slightly bigger. The problem with the 20D was insufficient room between the grip and the lens mount for your fingers. They solved that issue with the 30D and they've carried it over to the 40D - it feels just fine.

Thanks for that :)

Just went to look at one stop digital price for the 40D £649.99 that's £150 more than the UK price with canon cashback

there was one on Mifsuds website, S/H mint and boxed £450 last night, rang up this morning and it's gone

Just struck a deal for onefivenine's 30D so i'm well chuffed

Back