Advertising shot help?

Edit My Images
Yes
Having got myself a new watch, I thought it would be nice to have a bash at a magazine style advertising shot of it... my efforts so far have been poor to say the least... any advice of what kind of lighting and composition to use?

All i can think of is a plane black background, but positioning the watch in frame for any kind of impact is proving difficult. :thinking:

Generally you need to shoot in a dark environment with some carefully placed bits of white card/polystyrene to control the reflections.

Another thing you can try is a piece of glass or perspex over coloured or black cloth for some nice reflections but bear in mind you'll see every speck of dust and smudge on the surface so it needs to be cleaned well.

These kind of shots are a lot easier to set up when you're using lights that have a modelling lamp.

Dangle the watch some 10" infront of the backdrop. That way you see the watc h not the weave.

The thing I can say is try using a black velvit background as that will absorb light and give you a BLACK background then look at your item from many diffrent angles and diffrent lighting set-ups. The one I like is have the background with the side of the watch facing the background and then the light source facing the glass of the watch, try that with some diffrent angles and that should hopfully give you an effect like this :-

MoltonBasketball2.jpg

Ive been having a quick and dirty play, hung the watch off a mouse cable about a foot away from a black background, put me 5D on a tripod, fitted the 50mmf1.8+32mm expansiontube and killed all the lights, then got a el-cheapo flashlight and tried differant angles...

The red in the first image is from my Fatality motherboard in an old pc I had fired up... and the blue in the last two are from the screen which i knocked on accidental...

Not very good at all, but imo, on on the right lines.

BreitlingSampler1.jpg

BreitlingSampler2.jpg

BreitlingSampler3.jpg

BreitlingSampler4.jpg

BreitlingSampler5.jpg

3rd from last would be the best if the exposure was better, but I must say I much prefer the last one, but it could do without the distracting lit up part in the background..

Or you could go for a close up shot like this, I know it's not straight but you get the idea. Use a slow shutter speed to blur the movement.

time004.jpg

Nice watch btw!

Yeah you are getting there. Background is much better (ie not distracting).
I think different lighting and moving the camera to different points is going to get you lot nearer.

I like Hackers idea... you could nick and incorporate that too...

Another thing - watches always look better (no idea why) with the time set to either 10.50 or 2.10. Have a look next time you pass a jewellers selling watches ;)

last one is great, did you not get the hama studio in the group buy??

Yup, 2.10 is a nice smiley face, but im not altering the time on me watch just to have a play... i did get the group buy, but, ive little to no room to set it up and my tripod doesnt go low enough to have it setup at floor level.

I don't think this post as anything to do with photography - you're just showing off your new watch - go on admit it...:LOL:

Ooh look at me: I've got a Breitling...:razz:

Yep. Used car dealers buy them :LOL:

Shot is too "vertical", needs an angle or diagonal to show off posy new watch, erm sorry new time piece. :)

I don't think this post as anything to do with photography - you're just showing off your new watch - go on admit it...:LOL:

Ooh look at me: I've got a Breitling...:razz:

Your kind of right, i was trying to take a decent shot to show it off on a differant forum and struggled, therefore came to ask for advice off here. No point trying to show off a 2k watch on here, most folk have camera gear worth a damn site more than that so its hardly anything special.

Another thing - watches always look better (no idea why) with the time set to either 10.50 or 2.10. Have a look next time you pass a jewellers selling watches ;)
It's supposed to resemble a smile allegedly. What did they do with digital :thinking:

Back