Advice - 1dx For General Use Over 7d ii?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I was just about to pull the trigger on a 1dx & suddenly doubts filled my head.. Might be due to the money involved, but suddenly I though "what if it doesn't suit my needs"?

I have a 7d mkii which will have to go to fund the 1dx, but I use it not just for sport & wildlife photography but also family holidays.

Is the 1dx really a practical camera to replace my do everything 7d?

Could I realistically take the 1dx on a beach holiday or on a city break?

I would hate to get the 1dx and find myself having to get a "travel" camera to supplement it, I just don't have the cash.

That's a lot of camera to be using on holidays or days out. What are you finding the 7d2 can't do?

The vast majority of my photography is non-league football & junior galas. The 7d is fine until the light drops, then its ok but not great. Given the price of the 1dx right now & its abilities over the 7d it is a change I fancy.

But it's whether it is a camera that is practical for taking away or just overkill.

Do you mean with regards to noise performance or AF?

Do you have the lenses you need to make up for the 'reach' you will lose over having the crop body?

IMO the last thing you will want to be doing is lugging a big camera like the 1DX around a city or to the beach but everyone is different and you may think this is ok.

The vast majority of my photography is non-league football & junior galas.
What lens do you use on your 7D, and what lens would you use on a 1dx to get the same results?

stop being a wuss and get the 1dx...its worth the money..

Having used the 1DX once it is an amazing tool, and I could see it being of use for your sports stuff certainly, but I cannot help but think it's a lot of camera for family holidays , myself I have my 5D3 with the grip on it for the need of battery duration more than anything so that makes the camera a similar size/weight as the 1DX and to be honest I find it far to heavy / cumbersome for just general photography, it still perfect for me when I'm out specifically for photography/night photography, but I have just added a small Olympus to my kit bag and it's amazing for when I just want a small decent camera, it's also very handy for what I do because of the features it packs

I'd try and get hand on with one if I were you as it's quite a difference when it comes to handling from a 7D and I do fear it could be too much camera for your family time photography IYSWIM

The 1DX is a thing of beauty and I use it for wildlife over the 7D Mkii because of the need I have for high ISO due to the light in the UK for much of the year. I faced the same dilemma years ago with the 7D, I solved that in the same way by using a 1D Mk IV.
Would I carry around the 1DX as a general purpose body? Absolutely not, it's much too bulky and heavy. For this I've gone m4/3, it's a pleasure to carry gear this weight and size.

What lens do you use on your 7D, and what lens would you use on a 1dx to get the same results?

I use a 70-200 f/2.8 IS mkii no plans to swap this out and then a 400 f5.6 though this will be sold.

I use a 70-200 f/2.8 IS mkii no plans to swap this out and then a 400 f5.6 though this will be sold.
Right, well, three things occur to me.

Firstly, putting the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS Mk II is a fine lens, but mounting it on a 1DX would give you a field of view equivalent to a 45-125mm lens on your 7D. Could you cope with a limit of 125mm? It seems to me there's a big difference between 125mm and 700mm.

Secondly, you're talking about spending ££££ on a better camera because you want better low-light performance, but you're using a lens which is f/5.6. There's a disconnect right there. Wouldn't a faster lens be a good idea?

Thirdly, what do you plan to replace the 400 with? 400mm on a 7D gives you a field of view equivalent to 640mm on a 1DX. Are you planning on buying a 600mm lens?

Right, well, three things occur to me.

Firstly, putting the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS Mk II is a fine lens, but mounting it on a 1DX would give you a field of view equivalent to a 45-125mm lens on your 7D. Could you cope with a limit of 125mm? It seems to me there's a big difference between 125mm and 700mm.

Secondly, you're talking about spending ££££ on a better camera because you want better low-light performance, but you're using a lens which is f/5.6. There's a disconnect right there. Wouldn't a faster lens be a good idea?

Thirdly, what do you plan to replace the 400 with? 400mm on a 7D gives you a field of view equivalent to 640mm on a 1DX. Are you planning on buying a 600mm lens?

The reach is not an issue for the football photography.... The f/5.6 is a rarely used lens mainly for wildlife or occasionally cricket but at this time it would used to aid in the funding of the 1dx. It is never used at the football, I maybe should have made that clear.

I appreciate the biggest issue is always going to be moving from crop to full frame and the reach difference.

I've yet to speak to any of the other football photographers that visit the ground with 1dx's, where they say that reach is an issue using 70-200mm. During the summer months, quite a few do come with 300mm or 100-400mm. But on the whole virtually everyone is running with the 70-200mm. Junior galas are not an issue at all, pitch side a few few from them. In fact the crop can actually be a problem, as it can be on penalty area action at the club.

My inclination is to go for the 1dx, maybe later in the year towards the summer buy a more compact camera that can drop into a small bag.

thank you for your advice and thoughts.

You could try putting a cheap battery grip on your 7D2 and see how you get on lugging it about for general use.

Assume you are looking at a 1DX mkll and not the mk1 ? I have a mk1 that replaced a 7D mkl and love it- as for the 70-200 reach issue a 1.4 mklll extender works well albeit at f4 and isn't far off the reach on a crop sensor.
Just wondered if the 5D mklV is worth a look with a grip as it looks a good all rounder...?

Back