Advice about lens correction software

HMM

Edit My Images
Yes
HI,

I'd be grateful for some advice about available lens correction software.

I am considering purchasing my first mirrorless camera (the Canon R6) along with the 24-240 RF mount lens as my main walkabout lens. Now as I'm sure you know, this lens has had some incredibly contrasting reviews and views. It appears to be a pretty good all round lens (for the price), but with some glaring issues in respect of extreme vignette and chromatic aberration, particularly in the 'wide' angle part of the range of the lens. These can be corrected in camera when creating Jpegs, but prohibitively impact RAW output. One professional reviewer stated that it was a great walkaround lens that he would continue to use, but that he would definitely not recommend the lens to anyone without the ability to use lens correction via software such as Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom Classic.

Here's my problem. I am an amateur photographer, don't want to spend a fortune, currently only use Photoshop Elements for post edit. and am completely against subscription software. If it was possible I would gladly pay to purchase Photoshop outright, but it's no longer available to purchase outright. Are there any other software packages out there (on a purchase rather than subscription basis) that could deal with lens correction in a similar manner to that of Photoshop and Lightroom.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Not used it for a while but according to Canon their free Digital Photo Pro software should allow you to do lens corrections

Yep DPP
And DXO photolab does as well

Reactions: HMM
DxO PureRaw is the slimmed down version of DxO's software if you only want lens correction/noise reduction/sharpening etc...PhotoLab is a more fully fledged editing software.

Both are 1 time costs.
This is only true if you don't want to continually update the software. DxO tend to have a free minor update mid-year and another major update towards the end of the year. The major update is certainly not free although at £70 (last year) for the full package it is still less than a subscription to Adobe's photography package.

Here's my problem. I am an amateur photographer, don't want to spend a fortune, currently only use Photoshop Elements for post edit. and am completely against subscription software. If it was possible I would gladly pay to purchase Photoshop outright, but it's no longer available to purchase outright. Are there any other software packages out there (on a purchase rather than subscription basis) that could deal with lens correction in a similar manner to that of Photoshop and Lightroom.
One other thing to bear in mind is that any 'purchased' software that relies on online activation (I think this includes DxO, but not Canon's DPP) can only be installed as long as the company deigns to keep the activation servers online. Various companies (including Adobe) have eventually switched off the servers for older products (for Photoshop, CS4 and earlier are no longer supported). So these days many 'perpetual' licences aren't really that much different from long subscriptions (perhaps a decade or so). This may or may not contravene local consumer law, but you'd have to take legal action to find out.

Apart from DPP, Affinity Photo is one package that doesn't need online activation, but they may not yet have a profile for your lens, which is only listed in the development version of the third party Lensfun correction database that Affinity uses. And raw conversion is not in any case a particular strength of Affinity (there is no browser for image culling, and you can't save your working raw edits as sidecar files you can return to and tweak later). You might also look at the Free & Open Source converters that use Lensfun:

Last edited:
Back