advice again-to upgrade or not

Name
michael
Edit My Images
No
Hi everybody out there.
Just a quick one, does the extra of the Canon 550d in cost and photo-capabilities over Canon 1000d warrant an upgrade, I know it's better but I'm just trying to keep up with the game [not ahead of it] if that's possible,
thanks

The first thing to think about is why upgrade? what is your camera lacking? Upgrading for the sake of it may not result in any improvement.

What lenses do you use? You may find a better upgrade to be a better lens or a new lens to open up your options.

What do you photograph? what limitations have you hit?

In reality the body is the least important part in the following chain...

Photographer - body - lens - subject

The photographer and the subject is something you work on over time, getting the eye for a photo etc.

hi, just the same old, untill you get something new, I suppose, then might go out more.
I've got a 50mm,1.8 and 60mm macro,75-300 zoom as part of my kit but I try to snap anything

Unless there is something that the 1000D isn't doing then I would keep the body and potentially look at glass or training. These are a couple of ways that you can really see your photography improve.

Dale has asked some very important questions to help work out what is best to do.

I suppose you lot have convinced me to stick with it, just nice to dream occasionally,but I know what your saying, [mini-rolls royce syndrome]

The best advice would be to post photos in the critique section, people can help with ideas for composition, or if the shot didn't come out right, post what you have and what you were trying to achieve and hopefully someone will tell you how.

I recently upgraded my kit lens (18-55) to a Sigma 17-70 which has a bigger aperture (up to f/2.8). On the same focal length (and other settings) and f/8, the new lens is noticeably sharper (fast shutter speeds and both have stabilisation).

Mark, just a personal question, please dont be offended and no offence will be taken if you dont wish to answer but, why on earth do you need 6 bodies and do you use them all regularly. I've just given the wife my 550D and now have a 5D MkII and a 7D. I think the wife would kill me if I said I wanted another 3.

I've just collected them over the years and never sold any. Got the 30D as I had a Konica Minolta but started shooting lots of sports so wanted something faster and better glass options, added a 5D as started weddings, added a 1DmkIII as was doing more sports, added the 500D as I fancied trying video (wife uses it sometimes now), went to the 5DmkII as doing more weddings and also there was no video control really on the 500D, then the 7D as I was moving to Egypt for a year (2010) and could only take two bodies, I wanted to shoot weddings and sports so decided it would be a good all rounder to use with the 5DmkII. That's about it. The 30D is going to be sold soon and I think the same for the mkIII as I didn't ever use it much (oh well) and now doesn't get played with at all. Will replace with another 5DmkII. I should mention I also have a Panasonic FT2 underwater camera, a Panasonic TZ5 pocket thing and also a Canon SX1 megazoom...... is that enough?

Jeez, where do you manage to store all that. Do you have a sign outside the front door like all the other shops do, lol. I thought I was bad enough, I've had 2 bridge cameras and 3 dslr's in the past year and more before that, but I've had to keep selling as I buy cause I've nowhere to keep it all.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't do the upgrade to next model up or newest in current range.

I started with a 30D and upgraded to a 1D MK IV, now I know this is an extreme example, but there are many many on here that went 20D to 40D or 30D to 50D missing out the first upgraded model.

So for me I'd go the extra and jump 1000D to 600D or even better 60D to make the upgrade worthwhile.

And don't forget, people remember the photos you took not the kit you took it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back