Advice for Flash for a Canon 50d

Name
Lesley
Edit My Images
Yes
Son would like one for xmas but Im not sure which to go for.
Camera info sais the Speedlite 430
But should I be considering something different like a later model better spec.
If so what does anyone advise and will it work ok on the 50d.

Me being more into wildlife & not a techi person I havent a clue about them.
Many thanks for your help.

That's an ideal flash. Can be had for about £200. If budget allows you could get the 580ex but its quite a lot more expensive.

I recommend looking at the nissin di866 (mk1 or 2). Much better feature set for the same money as 430 and very well made. Mine hasnt missed a beat so far :)

430EX II is a great flash, I highly recommend it. I use mine heavily for nightclub photography and it does the job perfectly. If you can stretch to the 580EX II then definitely get that, it's a lot more powerful and includes extra features such as stroboscopic mode, wireless master, 180 degrees head rotation in BOTH directions, a spring loaded battery door :D among other things. It is twice the price of the 430, though.

Thanks for the info Ohara I wasnt sure if the 580 would be compatable with the 50d being that it is a slightly older model camera. Not that I underestand them but it did look to have different strength & gadgets.

I use 580ex ii with 50d. Works great. Was probably overkill though as I dont need it as an i transmitter an probably didn't need the extra power. It's a lot bigger than the next model down too I think.

It does work great though and never leaves me thinking 'if only I had bought the next flash up'. :)

I wouldn't say it's a 'lot' bigger, but the size difference is certainly noticeable. It'll look right at home on a 50D but it dwarfs smaller bodies like my 550D. The 430EX II looks perfectly at home on smaller bodies.

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/canon-speedlite-580ex-ii-1886.html

A Canon 580 Speedlight. £339.99.
It's a little more expensive than the 430EXII but its an amazing flash and you wouldn't need much more. If you are looking to spend this amount then this flash is perfect.

Alternatively

You can get the 430EXII. I own this flash and shoot Landscapes, Portraits, Events and much more.
Please check out www.danieljroche.co.uk for my pictures.

If your budget can stretch, go for the 580. Its more for your money and a better product. If he later wanted to get a second flash the 580 can act as a trigger, this will save him on flash cords or transceivers later on.

But there is no doubt that both the 430 and the 580 are professional exceptional flashes.

When I said it is big I didn't mean it is too big. It sits perfectly on top of the camera. I would buy it again.

Thanks for your help everyone.
As he is mainly into equestrian. Which you dont use flash for.
He wants it more for indoor shots of the family, parties etc. So Im going for the 430 as I feel this will be up to all his needs at present and until he learns the uses of flash properly he will be contented with it for a good while.

I think I may start saving for the 580 for myself though. !!!

Lovely shots on your web site Daniel

If its something just for the indoors of family and parties then look at the Jessops AFD360, very good flash and will do everything he wants it too for the uses he gets.
When he gets a little better and decideds he likes flash photography then he can move up and get something more suited to what he might need.
I use my AFD360 for inside work, macro work outside and it is great. Alot cheaper than the above mentioned ones aswell

spike

As a matter of interest, where does the 550EX fit into the overall range of Canon flashes?

Also what differecne is ther between MK1 & Mk2 versions of 430 & 580?

The 550EX was the previous flagship flash in that category before the 580EX so it has a few features the (newer) 430EX doesn't have like wireless master. It's a bit more bulky and slightly longer recycle time IIRC, but minimal power difference between it and the 580EX (55m guide number instead of 58m). Might be some ergonomic differences too. It's essentially superseded and discontinued now.

The 550EX was the previous flagship flash in that category before the 580EX so it has a few features the (newer) 430EX doesn't have like wireless master. It's a bit more bulky and slightly longer recycle time IIRC, but minimal power difference between it and the 580EX (55m guide number instead of 58m). Might be some ergonomic differences too. It's essentially superseded and discontinued now.

I may be wrong, but I thought that the 550EX has a wireless master function? At least the article from Canon here says it does....??

Reason for asking is that I need a good quality versatile flash for occasional use and I don't want to spend a fourtune...it seems to me that the 550EX would fit the bill secondhand.

It does, that's one of the features it has over the 430EX.

This should guide you feature-wise between the flashes, there's a few links to their other flash reviews on that page.

I bought the 580 recently and love it, I didn't mind spending the extra money incase I later decide to buy the 430 as a slave unit.

Back