Advice for headshots

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm taking on my first headshot job next week and have been asked to recreate images from a shoot in London albeit Edinburgh Castle will be my backdrop(hopefully) I'm guessing these are single light with a decent sized softbox not set too high and off to the side and possibly a reflector to bounce so light onto subject. I have a good understanding of the power of the lights and setting the exposure but the way light is modelled is not something I have done much with. I'd be more confident if asked to go in and shoot from scratch rather than mimicking a previous shoot/shoots. Any advice for how you would set up to recreate the images on the site linked.

I am of very limited experience when it comes to flash but from what I can see looks like you're right probably a single light and a reflector to bounce. Though it does look like like there's a LOT of natural backlight going on potentially giving the kicker/hairlight effect. Not sure if your location would support that or if you would need to compensate.

It’s a single octa or brolly there may or may not be reflectors involved, no real clue, but the overall effect will depend on your location, these were all shot against large windows on a fairly bright day.

You’ll get a very different look if either the building is vastly different or you get a grey overcast autumn day in Edinburgh. I love that city, but it always rains for at least half my visits.

It’s a single octa or brolly there may or may not be reflectors involved, no real clue, but the overall effect will depend on your location, these were all shot against large windows on a fairly bright day.

You’ll get a very different look if either the building is vastly different or you get a grey overcast autumn day in Edinburgh. I love that city, but it always rains for at least half my visits.
Thanks. I'm going for a quick recce tomorrow but as you say the weather will play a big part in the background. It also has a balcony so depends if that is railings or solid and what the windows are like.

It's a single octa as Phil said but there's a kick from camera left or right depending on the person.

What the previous togs done it pretty shoddy with little consistency between shots.

Back