Advice for macro lens

Name
Jackie
Edit My Images
No
I bought my first DSLR in January, and am really enjoying the results. However, I would love to start taking macro photos of flowers and insects.
My budget won't stretch to something that is all-singing, all-dancing, but I want do want something that is good at it's price.

These are the two I am currently looking at:
TAMRON 90mm F2.8 AF f/2.8 SP Macro Canon 272E
Tokina ATX PRO D 100mm f2.8 Macro Canon Fit Lens

Both have good reviews, and I've seen both at bargain prices/nearly new, second-hand on various web sites. I don't mind good-quality second-hand or nearly new as I'm only very much an amateur.

My budget is maximum £300. I know it's not a great deal, but I have seen some bargains.

Has anyone got the above lens, or can recommend one? I have a Canon EOS 1000d.

Thanks, in advance.

Just general thoughts really... I'd go for a longish lens (I went for 150mm) and don't worry about auto focus as it'll probably be next to useless for macro.

You should be able to get the Canon 100M F2.8 second hand for a tiny bit over 300... It is a cracking lens.....

Thanks for the advice. Gives me some ideas.

Not sure if this will help but it's certainly worth a watch as it covers Macro in a very down-to-earth manner. He shows his set-up near the start and then goes on to explain how he does the shots, even showing the vast number of final images he has achieved with such methods. Pretty amazing stuff if you ask me, i was fixed to the screen for the entire length of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRn3at0H60

Take note of the DIY diffuser and the fact he's not using a dedicated Macro lens, rather he is going with the reverse lens technique plus the use of extension tubes which can offer higher magnification but requires stronger light and greater patience to use. Naturally the lens also loses contact with the body so you cannot perform some actions, such as changing the aperture mid-shoot.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 2nd hand sigma 24 to 135 macro lens on ebay for £49. Didn't want to spend lots as I was not sure if I would be any good. It only goes down to 1/2 not 1/1 but I have had some good results so far. I will post some later. Have you also thought about a macro extension ring as a quick alternative? Check out ebay you can pick up some great deals on 2nd hand lenses.

Thanks everyone. I'm watching a VG second-hand one at the moment on ebay, Pandy. :)

Thanks everyone.

I've bought the Tokina ATX PRO D 100mm f2.8 Lens. I am really chuffed as it retails at £500 on Amazon, and I got it for £245 on Ebay! It's brand new and un-used.
It's got some great reviews and I've seen some example photographs on Flickr, which are fantastic!
So pleased and excited now, can't wait to get shooting.

Also look at the canon 60mm f2.8 macro. Pin sharp and not too much money. Most of what has been suggested above are top Macro lenses so you can't go far wrong.

Also just because it says macro on the lens or item description does not mean it's a true 1:1 macro!!

Last edited:
Have you considered a Raynox?

Well, I'm now just waiting for my Tokina to arrive. Can't wait!!

i bought the Tokina today, and have had a bit of a play impressed so far, a few examples can be found in my flickr account

i bought the Tokina today, and have had a bit of a play impressed so far, a few examples can be found in my flickr account

They're brilliant. Thanks for sharing. :)

They're brilliant. Thanks for sharing. :)

not yet they aren't, i still need a lot more practice with it before they can be classed as that:):):) but thanks anyway:)

not yet they aren't, i still need a lot more practice with it before they can be classed as that:):):) but thanks anyway:)

They're not perfect, but great for the first few tries, IMO.

Personally I'v been supprized at how useful a 100mm macro is as a portrait lens, obviously not as useful as the 60mm in a cramped space the extra thin DOF is I'd say a decent tradeoff.

Back