advice for my dad please.

..MD..

Helen Shapiro
Name
MonkeyDave
Edit My Images
Yes
hello all just wondered if you could all help my dad if you have a spare moment for a bit of advice..:help:

he has a 30D and is looking at getting another lens .the q is what would you guys recommend for a genral walkabout lens that he could also use to take portraits with he does a few familey weddings and christnings so really would like to cover most things...
he is looking at these 3

ef.s 17-55 f2.8 is usm
ef.s 17-85 f4 /5.6 is usm
ef 20-105 f4 is usm

hope you can give him so helpfull info
many thanks for looking and taking the time to reply :clap:

dont know mate ill let him know.. thanks for the info

If the IS isn't essential then it'd be worth him looking at the Sigma 24-70 f2.8. I've had mine under a fortnight and I'm totally smitten - seems to work well both at close range and for wider landscape stuff, and is beautifully sharp. He'd save himself a few £££'s too as it can be had for well under £300.

I'm using mine on a 30D too - my first digital camera I had teamed up with a Sigma 28-80mm which I loved - sadly it refused to work on the new body when I got it and so it was passed along the line to the other half who now gets a good deal of use out of the old body (no sense in it sitting in a bag gathering dust eh?!) but I did find myself missing what is - essentially - a superb general purpose lens. the 24-70mm is a joy to use and I'm now realising just how much I'd missed having that sort of lens for the past few months!

I suspect your Dad would also find the 17-55mm a little short if he's wanting it for portraits as well......

I've currently got the 17-55 IS and the 17-85 IS

Did a bit of a writeup about it here...
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=16526

The 17-55 is an excellent lens. Coupled with a 1.6x body it is just about long enough for portraiture.

The 17-85 is ok, but not a patch on the IQ of the above.

20--105 L IS is a very good lens, but is slower than the 17-55, tho aledgedly not as sharp.
Any lens that has > 3x zoom has to have some weak areas (tradeoffs for the extra zoom).
Also doesnt have the wide end of the above... may/may not be an issue.

HTH

24-105 f4L IS is an outstanding lens. Every bit as sharp as the EF-S17-55 f2.8 IS.

I would choose either of these before the 17-85. For portrait work, the 24-105 will be better.

If you want cheaper, as stated above the Tamron 28-75 is a cracking lens for the money too.

I have the 17-85 IS (got it from Kerso) and I reckon it's top notch.

thanks for all the advice ill pass it all on ...

thank you all

Back