Advice for Newbie

Name
Tania
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
Bit of advice needed please. As a beginner I have limited my budget to £300. Have seen seen great reviews for the Nikon D40 and this has been my first choice for some time. I,ve also seen and like the look of the Olympus E-410. The Pentax k110d is also within budget but I,ve not seen many reviews for them. Problem for me is that I have no idea about the technical jargon of camera's or len's. I am interested in landscapes, night shots and portraits ( posssibly some sports shots once i know what i am doing!!) I'm going to look around tomorrow to see what feels good but given a choice between the 3 which would you choose for what I want to do? (Also bearing in mind that in the future I may want to add other lenses to my kit if I need them ???)
Thanks in advance
Tania

As always... go to your local friendly camera shop, give them all a feel :naughty: and see which one feels "right" to you. They're all capable cameras, all of them have a good lens range (with the olympus and pentax being slightly more expensive perhaps, and less 2nd hand availablility).. So it really does depend on what feels right.

I don't like the feel of either the Pentax or the Canon models, so I went for a Nikon.. didn't really consider olympus at the time tbh, for no reason really.

Get yourself to Jessops, see what feels right, then look online at www.camerapricebuster.co.uk for the best price (y)

I agree with Mattyh, They are all good cameras and feel is the most important thing. There are more 2nd hand lenses for the Nikon and Pentax (which uses all of the pentax fit lenses) than for the Oly.

Personaly I picked canon on feel over the others 3 years ago, but that was just the, lots of cash spent since:crying:

As said above go handle them, the feel is important though subjective.
All the cameras can take good shots ,you turn them into great ones and that might not come if you are subconsciously uncomfortable with the camera.

I agree with the other posts, the cameras you have shortlisted are indeed all very capable.

Also, have you considered buying a used camera. So many people upgrade all the time, this forum is as good as any to buy from. I can say from personal experience, having initially bought a Nikon D70s and a mid range zoom lens (35-70mm), it allowed me to shoot a whole range of photography.

I was able to sell the camera on after 8 months for around 85% of the value I had bought it for. I'm not saying go and buy a D70s, but consider the fact that most people will upgrade within one year of owning their first DSLR as they outgrow it.

Pentax / Nikon or Canon is the route I would always recommend as there are so many lenses available for them.
Good luck
Jas

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm going to have a look and play today !! Cant wait. Leaning towards the D40 but we shall see..And yes Jas a used camera would be an option if I can find a good deal. Not buying today so I will keep a look out on here.

Thanks Tania

Well I went to have a play. I love the Nikon!! Didnt like the feel of the Olympus and couldnt find the Pentax. I also had a play with a Canon 400d which i also liked.
So I am down to the Nikon d40 or possibly Canon 400d but I'm getting myself confused now...
Out of the 2,I have been told that the kit lens with the Nikon is better and will be okay for what I want to do at the moment. Looking ahead,would I need a different lens for wildlife or sports shots? I have read that the 55-200mm VR lens is good.Does this auto focus with the D40? Although I like the Canon I really loved the feel and look of the Nikon camera and it looked easier to use but my only reservation is the lens auto focus issue. Would it therefore be cheaper in the long run to get the canon and add to that? Or get the Nikon and possibly upgrade once I,ve got the hang of things. Best deal I have found for each is Nikon £255 and Canon £329.
Any advice greatfully received before I go and have another look.
Thanks Tania

Back