Advice for shooting self-portraits?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am half way through my pregnancy and have been thinking about taking some self-portraits. I've found this site http://www.momphoto.com/maternity_portrait137.html which has some gorgeous maternity photos.

So, going to try to do some! Just wondered if anyone had any advice for shooting self-portraits? To be honest it's something I have managed to avoid doing so far!

all the obvious stuff, avoid shooting from below as it gives you chins avoid focussing on features you don't like etc...

TBH I've been trying this for a while (although I'm not pregnant!) with various mediums and it seems a tripod, a external shutter release and perhaps a mirror positioned so you can see the live view screen would be a good start. All the usual lighting issues apply, but with all the practical problems that you can't just look at what you're trying to take.

for a bit of variation, I often try to avoid the "photomachine" looking straight at the camera type shots, aiming more for the idea of a photo of myself, that looks like someone else took it. I'm yet to get any satisfactory results, but for a while I was trying a camera on top of a wardrobe with a self timer for a CCTV kind of feel?

Good luck, and I hope the results come out how you'd like!

Hi Anna,

I did my own maternity shots, I used a tripod and a long shutter release, then just edited the cable out. I tried it on a timer but the focus wasn't so good, where as the cable let me use autofocus. (Though obviously still blind!)
I found I needed to use something as a model when setting up initially, before swapping over. Think I just used an oversized teddy!
Have fun!

Just realised the date you posted this, have you had chance to do any yet?

Back