Advice from owners of Tamron 28-75 f2.8

I've got the BIM version and it is a cracking little lens. The focus does struggle somewhat in dull conditions and I'm always saying to the missus that I want to swap it for the Siggy 24-70 HSM. When I look at the pictures though I can't complain and my upgrade lust subsides. Mine's good wide open but great from f3.2 onwards, and in bright conditions it has no problems keeping up with my kids or motorsport.

I've got the BIM version and it is a cracking little lens. The focus does struggle somewhat in dull conditions and I'm always saying to the missus that I want to swap it for the Siggy 24-70 HSM. When I look at the pictures though I can't complain and my upgrade lust subsides. Mine's good wide open but great from f3.2 onwards, and in bright conditions it has no problems keeping up with my kids or motorsport.

Thanks for the feedback Scott. Any particular reason that you'd go to the Sigma? Is it specifically the autofocus or are there other things that make you want to make the switch?

As J-P has already pointed out the aperture was 3.2-3.5 and ISO 1600. These were shot in Jan 2011 just about the time I started to notice some odd focusing issues so I was keeping away from wide open. Eventually (i.e. Nov 2011) the lens was sent to Tamron's UK service agent for a service where they found that one of the lens blocks had come loose. This was repaired and the lens recalibrated returning it to it's previous sharpness.

I think someone else has already commented that finding a sharp copy of this lens can be a bit hit and miss. My lens (now sold to EspressoJunkie) was the third one I tried. The other two were back-focussing ever so slightly .. the difference with this copy was immediately noticable :)

Sorry Steve, i'd not noticed this post amongst the other ones.

Thanks for the extra information on here. Greg has sent me a few pictures taken with his BIM version and they look pin sharp, very impressed.

I'd better be careful what I say though as I may be pushing his sale price up when he gets round to listing it!! :)

It would soley be for focus speed as I'm incredibly happy with the IQ of this lens.

It would soley be for focus speed as I'm incredibly happy with the IQ of this lens.

And is this only an issue in very low light? Could you give me an example of a scenario where the AF on the lens struggled? I don't think i'd have a problem as i'll be shooting indoors, but in places reasonable well lit i.e. Sheffield Arena but could do with being as certain as possible.

A good example would be trying to take some pictures of my baby daughter close up (<1.5m) on an evening. Lowish light (about 1/50, f3.2, ISO 3200) and about a sixth of the time it will either hunt or take a couple of seconds to fully lock, which does get annoying when expressions can change so fast. Turning the lights on or using the AF illuminator usually makes everything ok but they're not always ideal to use.

Back