Advice needed...1ds iii ...

Edit My Images
Yes
Ive got quite a dilemma.

Ive just paid a deposit on a 1Ds mark iii .......... so Im :clap: however...... I love my 7d but will need to sell it to offset the cost of the 1Ds.

Ive read review after review...there are very few head to head comparisons out there I can find, so Im hoping there's a few on here who have/had both and can give me some objective views.

what will I miss from the 7D when I shift to the 1Ds?

what will I notice the most about the 1Ds when I move?

Its not too late to back out if its a bad idea...I decided I wanted to goto full frame, but have a niggling worry Ive missed something...:thinking:

Last edited:
It was the flag ship camera, I've never used 1, but I'm very sure it will be nothing short of awesome :)

I have a 1Ds MkII and definitely wouldn't go back to crop even though I still have my 350D as a backup.

The only thing you might really notice is the lesser reach of any telephoto lenses you may have.

But that is offset by the wider FOV on the lenses you have.

And of course the quality is different too.

The obvious things are that any EF-S lenses you've got won't work, and all your lenses will seem wider. Beyond that you'll find it a lot heavier but this is gold in a reassuringly well built way. Also the controls take a bit of getting used to but again no big drama. The first thing you'll notice is how big and bright the viewfinder is, you'll not want to return to a crop body.

thanks, its the image quality Im hoping I will notice the most and wider images...often seem to be moving back trying to get more in.

Only have 2 EF-S lenses so they will go with the 7d, Ill be left with the 24-105 and 70-200 + 2x

Last edited:
I can't really answer your question to the point but.....

I had the original 1ds for sometime earlier this year and despite me now having a 5d mkii I would say that looking at some of the files, blown up to 100% the detail it retains is better in my eyes...probably just an illusion but! Of course the 1ds iii is a complete different machine but if it can produce the kinda images the mk1 was producing at low ISO at high iOS then it must be incredible.

Image quality will no doubt be better than your 7d - I went 60d to 5dii and I really noticed a difference.

I can't really answer your question to the point but.....

I had the original 1ds for sometime earlier this year and despite me now having a 5d mkii I would say that looking at some of the files, blown up to 100% the detail it retains is better in my eyes...probably just an illusion but! Of course the 1ds iii is a complete different machine but if it can produce the kinda images the mk1 was producing at low ISO at high iOS then it must be incredible.

Image quality will no doubt be better than your 7d - I went 60d to 5dii and I really noticed a difference.

thanks (y)

1Ds is a great camera, enjoy! The pixels are so much better, that to be honest you won't be losing out on the reach as much as you think. I think you could sell the 7D as you won't really use it anymore.

I only have the mkii, and that to be honest is already quite a killer camera.

Thanks Mark

thanks daugirdas, thats my plan (y) as I said I love the 7D its a great camera and if photography was my living I might keep it as backup, but its a hobby and I cant afford to have that much tied up unused. Its only fired 5K shots so someone will be getting a bargain :(

Last edited:
If your shooting style lets you stay at Iso 800 or lower then I think you'll be very happy. At 1600 or above then I feel that the quality tails off somewhat and it becomes pretty ordinary.....I'm not saying it's bad, simply that it loses its vibrancy.

Bob

Back