Advice needed - 300mm zoom for Sony A500

Edit My Images
Yes
I've been using a Tamron 70-300mm zoom on my Sony A500 for a year now and I'm beginning to realise some limitations (I think). At full zoom, it is very difficult to get a crisp picture and there seems to be a fair bit of colour bleeding/blur (chromatic aberration?) around the edges of subjects, even when I've used a tripod. I've heard that F8 is the sweetspot for this lens, but obviously it isn't always possible to use this setting. As a consequence, I'm looking to upgrade to a better quality lens to use with motorsport and bird photography.
The obvious choice seems to be the Sony SAL-70300G, but at around £650 - £700 I'm finding it hard to justify the expense as I'm very much an amateur (I know that many lenses are way more expensive:eek:).
I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this lens or any alternatives. Is the Tamron SP 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens any good (I know the IS isn't needed) or the Sigma 70-300 DG-OS?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
I have the Sony 70-300 and like it, but you have already mentioned that one.

Have you looked at the dyxum lens database?

My brother has exactly the same lens as you, and has all the same problems. Myself, I use a sigma 70-300 apo dg lens on my canon body, and is a lot better than the tamron, I have been told that the new sigma os lens is great. I was also told by someone from sigma that the optics are better, the tamron vc lens has only just been released, but i'm sure I have read that its a really good performer, hopefully there will be some users of these lenses on here.

I have the Sony 70-300 and like it, but you have already mentioned that one.

Have you looked at the dyxum lens database?

So you rate the 70-300G highly.
I'm having problems actually finding one in a shop to try out. Even the local Sony centre don't stock them as 'there's no call for them sir...'
I have found them online at a good price £490, so may just have to take the plunge.

The review on dyxum seems good too.

Cheers

Back