Advice Needed - Damaged Sensor?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

After a DIY attempt at a wet clean of my D7000 I have been left with a blue spot centre to my images. See attached as an example. I've tried to re-do the clean, incase it was residue however the issue remains. Does this mean I'm damaged the sensor? Any advice appreciated.

DSC_6575 by christopherjgrant, on Flickr

It'll be a lot easier to see the problem if you post an out-of-focus shot of a blank wall. That's the best way to gauge how bad sensor problems are.

just in case you are not familiar with how to take the image - f16 against a white wall - no need to focus or keep it steady

Last edited:
You are unlikely to damage the sensor unless you've been using sand paper.
The glass covering over the sensor is normally made of something like gorilla glass, though I'm happy to be corrected :)

Thanks for the replies. since my post earlier I've had a play around. Changing the lens resolved the issue (photo above was taken with 50mm f1.8). However, strangely having put the 50mm back on to the body the issue is not repeatable and I've not done anything to the lens. Testing multiple lenses at various apertures, including the white wall test and the issue has gone.o_O

I managed something similar a few years ago on my D200. Thought I'd grazed the sensor (well, the low pass filter in front of it!). Got a job lot of SensorClears (by LensPen) and thought I'd try on the knackered sensor first as a practise run. Lo and behold, the smear vanished! I use the pens rather than wet cleaning now on the rare occasion that a shake (a camera option, not a physical shake by me!) and blow fail to shift any crud. I only use the pens once as a sensor cleaner then relegate them to lesser tasks such as rear screens and the like. (But I did get several of them at a very good price a few years ago.)

Crossed posts - I'm a slow typist! Could well be that the smear was a tiny bit of excess cleaning solvent and that time has allowed it to evaporate. Glad the issue's resolved itself.

It looks rather like lens flare of some kind - maybe the sun reflecting off the lens mount at the right angle to cause the small amount of flare - did you have a UV filter on the lens etc because that can sometimes cause flare in certain circumstances.
But at least you know you haven't damaged the sensor.

F/22 on a crop sensor? That might not cause the coloured spot but it will cause other issues (pretty bad diffraction)!

As said, it looks like an odd bit of lens flare or refraction coming off the back of a filter maybe?

Last edited:
You've also still got a dust-bunny, showing very neat the top of your image, left of centre. ;)

Back