Advice needed from a glazier or anyone.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
I have wooden double glazed windows which I fitted myself to our single storey cottage about 20 years ago, the frames are still sound and I do not wish to replace them with UPVC.
The sealed units (15) are all misting up now. They were bedded in with putty and then hardwood beading was nailed on, problem is how do I remove the units without having broken glass all over the place.
I have considered covering all the glass with "Fablon" to reduce the chances of glass falling to the path then trying to remove as much of the hardened putty as possible before attempting to remove them.
I have also thought of the possibility of scribing around the outside of the glass with a diamond glasscutter and simply removing as much of the glass as possible in one go,but I am not sure if it would be as simple as that.
I am a 100% "do it yourself" man having had a few so called professionals attempt to do professional jobs and failing so I am not getting glaziers in to do the job for me.

So there you are folks, any advice or other ideas, if I did not have two dogs I would not be so bothered.

could you not just remove the hardwood beading then cut/pick the putty out (maybe there is a product available to soften the putty?)and remove the glass as a whole with some of those suction grips? seems most sensible to remove the glass as a whole than cut/smasb it into bits and risk injuring yourself or one of your snoopdawgs

I seem to remember that hardened putty can be softened with something. Is it acetone? Dunno? It'll come to me later.

I'd split off the hardwood beading on one to see how difficult the problem is.

I expect I can remove the putty on the outside relatively easy as it has decayed slightly but the inside is hard and will be difficult to remove.
Another thing which may make it difficult is that they were held back in place by panel pins to prevent movement prior to bedding the hardwood beads in.

:shrug:

Back