Beginner Advice Needed

Edit My Images
Yes
I've just been asked by my partner, who works for premier inn.

Their have an event on Sunday in one of their hotels but didn't have a photographer to document the occasion, which is how my name came forward. I did agree to do it as i need expreience.

I did remind them that at the moment in only have the one lens. The nikkor 18-55mm. However that was fine for them.

The idea is that all they want is someone just to take generic pictures to remember the night by.

I want take it seriously, so mu question is what would be the best mode to use.

Also any other tips and advice you think I would benefit from.

Thanks. :D

Despite what your eyes see the majority of function rooms are pretty dark, so bounced flash, ISO up to balance the ambient light and widish apertures, though not so wide that you don't have enough depth of field. White balance is often an issue so either do a custom white balance, or shoot in raw and take a reference frame of something neutral under the same lighting, a grey card off 7dayshop is a good idea, and correct in post processing.

What time of the day the event is going to be held? Is it indoor or outdoor? What camera do you have? Do you have a flash? Try few practice shots in the room/place where the event is going to be held, under the similar lighting conditions, if possible.

What time of the day the event is going to be held? Is it indoor or outdoor? What camera do you have? Do you have a flash? Try few practice shots in the room/place where the event is going to be held, under the similar lighting conditions, if possible.

At night, indoors using a Nikon crop-sensor - but that's just going from what's included in the first post.

I agree about the flash, having a decent flashgun in your pocket and with enough practice beforehand to have the confidence to use it will give a lot of confidence when you walk through the door. The buit-in flash is a "No!" - unless you want some pretty bad '80s party flashback effects..

assuming the Op doesnt have a flash gun (which seems likely if he only has one lens) you can make a flash bouncer to stick on the pop up flash out of white card (see google for you tube vids etc) - note however that the range and power is likely to be a lot less than a gun

Personally I'd put the camera in AV (may be marked as A depending on the camera), select a widish apperture like F5.6 and dial up the ISO until you have a reasonable shutter speed - yes this will create noise , but a niosy sharp shot is preferable to a clean blurred one - non photographers don't tend to notice noise that much, but everyone notices out of focus subjects

other tips - watch your backgrounds , the mantra is 'head in clear space' (for the main subject) - you don't want plants, light fittings etc sprouting out of peoples heads

Last edited:
I assume you have already done the event now??? How did you get on?

just in case my advice is below....

If you don't have a flash look for the best part in the venue for light to use maybe move table lamps/candles around to bring more light into the area.....grab a couple armchairs and pull groups of people in for shots. Then look to capture a few candid shots just try and watch where the lighting is as this will help bring the subject out.. noise will only be noticeable in the dark areas if you try and pull back in PP...black & white can also hide a lot of noise.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

Back