Advice needed

Edit My Images
No
The photography club i have just joined is having a practical night. They hire a model and set up basic lighting. i intend to use my canon5D but which lens 24-70mm or 70-200 also would i need a flashgun. I have never did any people photography as i usually do wildlife.Any tips would be most welcome.

regards brian.

Personally, id use the 24-70, but why not try out both?

Mike

Take both and see how you get on.

Having said that, if you start to go much below the 50mm end of the lens the results will be less flattering as the wide angle will make the models face look wider (IMO).

From what I know, at my own camera club - when we had a practical night, then there was no need for a flash gun. They had the lighting, they had the flash trigger, and everyone used that.
I am assuming that the room is not all that big, so therefore the 24-70 lens would be your best bet.
I shoot 18-70 in the studio - and disagree that it makes the models face look wider - I've even shot a portrait with the Sigma 10-20!!!
And Leave the tripod at home - There really isnt any need for it on one of these nights - NOR would I suspect there would be room - but why would you need one? When flash "freezes" anyway.

And Leave the tripod at home - There really isnt any need for it on one of these nights - NOR would I suspect there would be room - but why would you need one? When flash "freezes" anyway.

For repeated composition accuracy when playing with settings, but each to their own :)

Some people like big noses. :LOL:

I think its each to their own, as I dont feel that it does detract any from them, and there is no full inconsitancy when shooting at 18mm to 70mm I find. Ive not had a paying client complain yet.

For repeated composition accuracy when playing with settings, but each to their own :)

When you're shooting kids, or anything that doesnt "sit" still for too long a time. then you will find that a tripod has no use at all.

If you watch modelling programmes such as "america's next top model" britans, canada's blinkin australian whatver - you will find the photographers on there, wherever they are shooting - fail to use one also...

You should know your camera's functions and settings, and have easy accessibility to them, regardless of a tripod.

Last edited:
I think its each to their own, as I dont feel that it does detract any from them, and there is no full inconsitancy when shooting at 18mm to 70mm I find. Ive not had a paying client complain yet.

When you're shooting kids, or anything that doesnt "sit" still for too long a time. then you will find that a tripod has no use at all.

If you watch modelling programmes such as "america's next top model" britans, canada's blinkin australian whatver - you will find the photographers on there, wherever they are shooting - fail to use one also...

You should know your camera's functions and settings, and have easy accessibility to them, regardless of a tripod.

I agree, but the OP didn't mention kids, just "a model" anyway, like I say... each to their own :)

Thanks everyone, food for thought there, i will take all my gear the building is quite large, i have a monopod so i will probably take that . i will post some feedback on the day and maybe a photograph.

cheers brian.

I agree, but the OP didn't mention kids, just "a model" anyway, like I say... each to their own :)

Yeah and Ive shot plenty of models under 50mm thats what I was stating. we dont just get kids in the studio.
Many of my shots, regardless of who they have been kids or not, have been shot with the 18-70 - and let me just state that if a female model thinks her photos make her look fat - she will tell you.

And so far... No complaints :D

Well wouldnt you know it, models failed to turn up, apparently a frequent occurrance. It gives me more time to learn a few things .
Again ta for taking the time to comment, this site has always been excellent for advice.

Back