Advice on 70-300 lens

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Im looking for a new lens for motorsport events.

Ive been looking at:

- Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG
- Nikon NIKKOR 70-300 G type AF

I know a lot of people have the Sigma and seem quite pleased with it, the only bad thing I read is that it can be a bit slow to foucs. Would the Nikon be any faster? I know its more expensive but im probably looking to purchase second had anyway.

thanks in advance

- Chris :naughty:

I use the Sigma for shooting speedway - at close range that is pretty quick, and I rarely have any problems with focusing speed. I could honestly say that if I was buying again now I'd buy the lens again. It can hunt a little in low light without flash is the only comment I'd make, but other than that it's fine, and in good light - no problem at all.

i have the sigma and i'm very pleased, only down side is low light

i would and did buy the sigma, great lens. there are softer and sharper copies out there but most people seem to be very happy. just make sure you get the APO version. infact, i shall be (sadly) putting mine up in the for sale section one of these days when i find the lens cap as it's been replaced with a prime.

i would and did buy the sigma, great lens. there are softer and sharper copies out there but most people seem to be very happy. just make sure you get the APO version. infact, i shall be (sadly) putting mine up in the for sale section one of these days when i find the lens cap as it's been replaced with a prime.

I'd be selling mine too if I could get the damn thing to autofocus again :bang:

The Nikkor 70-300 AF-G? For the money, it's ok, but only just. Constrast is low, anything above 200mm is soft, CA is noticeable if you're shooting contrasty subjects, and it hunts more than Ted Nugent.

Nikon have produced a new 70-300 f4.5-f5.6 AF-S VR which I may well try out. It has faster focussing than the normal G lens, plus a couple of ED glass elements which should go some way to reducing the problem with chromatic aberration. Should go for about 300 quid...

if it's long enough i picked up a nikkor 180mm f2.8 ED prime for £180 and it's my favorite lens now. ridiculously sharp, maybe even sharper than my 50mm f1.8 or 300mm f2.8 and small considering the aperture. i can't sing enough praise for it. you'll have to hunt for them tho, they can end up being quite expensive.

Back